[3830] ARRL 160 N9RV Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N9RV Single Op HP
From: pbarkey@bsu.edu (pbarkey@bsu.edu)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:27:59 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 1037  Sections = 77  Countries = 16  Total Score = 200,125

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

IC-765/Commander HF-2500
quarter wave wire vertical
3 2-wire, 880' beverages NE/SW, E/W and NW/SE.

Kind of tough to get this contest in under the radar between the
CQ WW CW and the 10 meter contest next weekend.  But the activity
on Friday night was simply phenomenal, and with the short exchange
and the hunting for section multipliers it was a lot of fun.  So
I managed to squeeze in most of the prime hours in this one, quitting
at about 0630z each night.

This is also a good contest to be an alligator for DX.  Sorry to
any that called that I did not hear.  I noticed on Saturday that the
NE/SW beverage broke some time during the first night.  When you go
through the woods with wire, its a common occurence.  The band
was very quiet here (and in the case of NE the first night, it
was just *too* quiet).

I noticed that the instances of really bad key clicks seemed to be
down this year.  On the other hand, there were quite a few W's calling
CQ in the window, often during some of the best DX openings.

Congratulations to the MWA guys for getting the troops on.  Can't
believe how many MN guys I worked at the beginning.  The W9 activity
was also great.  But Ohio continues to be the limitless supply of
160 activity.  Is there something in the water over there?

Best EU sig here was RN6BN.  He was not hearing me, but then some
QSB took his signal up and I got right through.  Never did get through
to G4VGO (very bad QSB) or S57M.  But only a very small number of
EU in the log -- KC1XX could have worked his entire W9-quota of EU
stations without ever hitting his F1 key.

Congrats to K9DX for his monster score.  Looks like we'll all be
duking it out for second place in W9 in the 160 contests for a long
time ...

  - Pat
    N9RV