[3830] ARRL 10 AE6Y SO Mixed HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 AE6Y SO Mixed HP
From: andrew.faber@gte.net (andrew.faber@gte.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:31:06 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AE6Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: AE6Y

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 11

   CW:  538    84
  SSB:  595    78
-------------------
Total: 1133   162  Total Score = 542,376

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast!  Only a casual operation due to other commitments, and, as it
turned out, due to the weather.  In the midst of the big Northern Calif. wind
and rain storm, power went out Saturday morning, so I went out for breakfast.
When I returned, power was back on and I enjoyed my best all-time rate from the
home QTH: a 210 hour on phone. But ... then the power went off again (at about
1:30 p.m. local time), and stayed off until midnight.  Oh well, it was fun while
it lasted, and Sunday turned out well also.  I particularly enjoyed the times of
high CW rates (once 300 on the last 10 meter, several times at 150-200).  I've
never seriously operated this contest before, but I can now see why many people
consider it their favorite event!
  Used one radio (756PRO), and my 2 el Steppir at 50 feet fixed NE was the main
antenna, with the 3 el F12 10m yagi above it rotated to SE or NW as the
situation demanded.  The Steppir continues to be a dynamite antenna.  It's
amazing to feel loud with two elements on a 5-foot boom!
  73, andy, ae6y