[3830] N8II ARRL 10M SINGLE-OP LP MIXED

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N8II ARRL 10M SINGLE-OP LP MIXED
From: N8II@aol.com (N8II@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:39:15 EST
Contest Dates : 14-Dec-02, 15-Dec-02

    Callsign Used : N8II
         Operator : N8II

         Category : SINGLE-OP 10M LOW MIXED

 Default Exchange : WV

             Name : JEFFREY W. HARTLEY
          Address : 1009 WINDGALE DR
   City/State/Zip : SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV 25443
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : POTOMAC VALLEY RADIO CLUB

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

   10CW     1026        1026       4096      57        65
   10SSB     689         689       1374      55        76

 Totals     1715        1715       5470     112       141

    Final Score = 1383910 points.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 I echo W3PP's sentiments, seem to always start the test tired, and sometimes
 stay that way. The 10 M test is usually the most enjoyable for me, and this
 year, I put aside enough time (Xmas tree already trimmed, shoppping under
 control) to put in a fairly serious effort. There were a few short
interruptions
 for family duties Sunday. I started off Sat AM running on CW and around 1300
rain
 & wind static hit with a vengence for about 15 min. So, I decided to go SSB
S&P
 which worked OK til the noise cleared out. Then, I ran pretty well on SSB
gathering
 mults along the way. This worked out great, because the rate was much too
good
 on my CW run Sunday to break away and chase Eu, etc. mults. The strategy was
 concentrate on CW with the double points and run whenever rate was decent. I
 couldn't run many JA's Saturday evening, but had a 73 hr running mostly West
 Coast on CW. Later, Tom, K2UOP asked me for a QSY to CW for WV which worked
well as
 a spordic E opening was just getting good and I caught 3 new states on CW.
 The late evening Es also helped with quite a few SSB states/Q's.  I asked
about
 6 MS stations on SSB for a CW QSO and none could oblidge, but eaked out
K5MDX on
 scatter the next day. Missed WY for WAS on CW and KY and RI on phone.My luck
 moving mults between modes or poaching mults was almost nil, but I kept
asking.
 The CW run into Eu on Sunday lasted from 1220Z til 16Z and had 105 Q's/hr in
the
 13 and 15Z hours. The only East Asians I heard were JA's and RA0FN, tho I
 understand others heard BY and VR2.
  Thanks for the Q's and a fun test, love the high activity.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---