[3830] TBDC N5IA Single Op QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] TBDC N5IA Single Op QRP
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (n5ia@zia-connection.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 06:37:02 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5IA
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 185  Total Score = 2,720

Club: Cactus Radio Club

Comments:

The propagation conditions were quite poor.  The band was quiet; TOO quiet.
Lots of slow QSB and very weak signals after the first hop.  It was nearly
midnight local before I could get east of the Mississippi.  There were many
stations who never responded to my calls, even out west.

Very little DX but I experienced one real highlight.
FM5BH never could hear me.  Herb, KV4FZ got my call but never acknowledged the
GS so I deleted that one.  No EU or SA heard.  Only Canadians were three VE3s.
I suppose they were all tired from working the RAC contest.  Worked three KH6s
but NL7Z never came up good enough to try.

The highlight was having the searchlight drop on me for a few minutes.  VK3IO
was calling CQ with NO one responding.  I called.  He answered and after two
overs he had my call.  Then three overs to get the GS complete to him.  Wow!
Then he went back to CQing without any takers. I guess it was my turn.

I worked 4-JAs and the FO8 three years ago using QRP, but this is the LOOOONGEST
Q yet.

The last 4-5 hours were slow as there were no more stations to work.  The
sunspot cycle needs to hurry along on its downward slide to a minimum to return
to conditions like we had for the glory years of 1996 and 1997.

I had plenty of time to make notes on key clicks.  I will be posting some
observations to the MP reflector.  CU all in the CQ 160 CW in 4 weeks.

Milt, N5IA