[3830] RAC Winter VE6JY M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE6JY M/M HP
From: ve6jy@rac.ca (ve6jy@rac.ca)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:48:57 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE6JY
Operator(s): VE6JTM VE6SRV VE6CBS VE6DTB VE6BF VA6MA VA6BEN VA6HGS VE6JY
Station: VE6JY

Class: M/M HP
QTH: AB
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    9      13      3         4
   80:   53     126      6         6
   40:  109     165      8         9
   20:  186     498     10        13
   15:  157     573     10        11
   10:  201     432      9        10
    6:    1       8      1         1
    2:    3      25      1         1
Total:  719    1840     48        55  Total Score = 1,479,698

Club:

Comments:

RAC SUMMARY SHEET
RAC 2002 Winter Contest
VE6JY   multi multi
Operators:  VE6JTM VE6CBS VE6SRV VE6DYB VE6BF VA6MA VA6HGS VE6MIA VA6BEN
VE6JY
      Tnx to VA6DX, VA6MA, VE6BF and VE6JTM for supplying radios and other
boxes... Mitch's brand new ICOM 756ProII arrived at 0001 utc (in the box, just
as it arrived a few hours earlier from ICOM) and was producing 20m QSO's at 0009
utc! Talk about a 24 hour burn in period!

For those trying to connect the voice they worked to a callsign:

The yl voices were either Janet VE6DYB or Amity VE6MIA
The "loud" voice was Mitch VE6JTM
The "new" voices were either Gern VE6HGS or Ben VA6BEN, both in their first
contest.  Not their last.
The "good" CW emissions were all made by Bill VE6BF
And being short staffed at various times, I even operated and made a lot
more QSO's than normal, especially in the middle of the night.

We haven't run a m/m operation for some time, so many of usual s/op or
s/band ops weren't here so it could be viewed as a training or re-training
exercise for a lot of the operators.  We had a 6 HF station plus 2m setup
with 7 computers and linked and using TRLog - as usual, it ran smoothly and
the link stayed up 100% of the time.  Bill VE6BF did  all of the CW barefoot
and using the remotely located antennas so he could move around without any
regard as to the SSB stations. Built up some more antenna relay interface
boards (Tnx to VE6JKB for producing the pc boards) for the ICOM radios so
all antenna selection was totally automatic for all multiband operating
positions.

Band Breakdown:

  160CW        9           9         74       3
  160SSB      13          13        114       4

High sloping dipole at 110'/160', 756Pro and PW-1

   80CW       53          53        380       6
   80SSB     126         126       1050       6

4 ele yagi at 150' 756Pro and Henry 5K
CW: FT-1000D and 80m inv V

   40CW      109         107        566       8
   40SSB     165         162       1484       9

5 el yagi at 150', 3 ele yagi at 120' FT1000mp/Al200
CW: FT-1000D and 40m inv V

   20CW      186         183        904      10
   20SSB     498         479       3020      13

5/5/5 stack, 756ProII / Drake L4-B
CW: FT-1000D and 5.5 el yagi at 100' (remote 1700 feet away)

   15CW      157         156        836      10
   15SSB     573         569       2798      11

6/6/6/6 stack FT1000mp / Alpha 77DX
CW: FT-1000D and 6 el yagi at 110' (remote 1200 feet away)

   10CW      201         196        890       9
   10SSB     432         429       1880      10

7/7/7/7 stack IC756Pro / Henry 5K
CW: FT-1000D and 7 el yagi at 150'

    6CW        1           1         10       1
    6SSB       8           8         80       1
    2CW        3           3         30       1
    2SSB      25          25        250       1

 Totals     2559        2519      14366     103

    Final Score = 1,479,698 points.

Well, conditions were generally dreadful on the low bands and only mediocre
on the high bands. Roughly 1150 VE calls (28 RAC's), 1250 USA. Virtually
 no Europe late night as in other years. Our multi/multi  score
this year was essentially the same score we made last year as a
multi/single.  Mother Nature  has not been kind this season. No short skip
on 10 - saw spots of Yukon and Manitoba and heard the pileups but not even a
trace of the source...  Even though the power company was out last Friday
and replaced a transformer and some other hardware, we still had a fair bit
of noise, especially to the east. Although I think we generally heard better
on the low bands than we could be heard - certainly called quite a few VE3's
on 40 and 80 that didn't hear us.  The joys of one way propagation from north
of 53 degrees. But did work OH2BH on 80m long path!

Multipliers / band:

160CW  Ab      Bc      Sk
160SSB Ab      Bc      Mb      Sk
80CW   Ab      Bc      Mb      On      Sk      Yu
80SSB  Ab      Bc      Mb      Nt      On      Sk
40CW   Ab      Bc      Mb      Nb      On      Pq      Sk      Yu
40SSB  Ab      Bc      Mb      Ns      Nt      On      Pq      Sk      Yu
20CW   Ab      Bc      Mb      Nb      Nf      Ns      On      Pq      Sk  Yu
20SSB  Ab      Mb      Nf      Nt      On      Pq      Yu
            Bc      Nb      Ns      Nu      Pe      Sk
15CW   Ab      Bc      Mb      Nb      Nf      Ns      On      Pq      Sk  Yu
15SSB  Ab      Mb      Nf      On      Pq      Yu
              Bc      Nb      Ns      Pe      Sk
10CW   Ab      Bc      Mb      Nb      Nf      Ns      On      Pq      Sk
10SSB  Ab      Bc      Nb      Nf      Ns      Nu      On      Pe      Pq   Sk
6CW    Ab
6SSB   Ab
2CW    Ab
2SSB   Ab      Without VE5RI operating this year, just locals on 2 and 6
meters.

most QSO's with provinces:

On  511
Bc  182
Ab  149
Pq   98
Mb   61
Sk   45
Nb   30

most QSO's with 1 callsign
VA6DX 14
KA6BIM 12
N6RO 10
N5DO 10
VE7SCC 10
VE3EJ 10
QRP: VY2MGY/3 :  6
As usual it was nice to work everybody and say Happy New Year to all!

73 Don
VE6JY