[3830] ARRL 10 - W 7 D X - (KL2A) socwLp

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 - W 7 D X - (KL2A) socwLp
From: KL2A@yahoo.com (KL2A - Jon)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:39:04 -0800
                      ARRL 10 METER CONTEST -- 2002

       Call:      W7DX
         Operator:  KL2A
       Category:  Single Operator LP CW

       State:     WASHINGTON
       Club:     WWDXC - W 7 D X

         On Time:   18 hours

       MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

        CW     1056     4228       61       52
       SSB        0        0       0        0

       Totals  1056     4228       61       52  =   477,764

Club Affiliation: WWDXC - W 7 D X - Western Washington DX Club

Equipment Description:

RIG:  Kenwood TS 930s 100w
ANT:  Steppir 3el Yagi @ 25'(www.steppir.com)
       10m mono Vertical w/ 3 radials on roof

:: THE STORY "Steppir Spray" ::

CAN YOU "spray" your signal in 2 or more directions  ???

In the past, in order to get that "Spray" we all love, most of us sought after
big stations with multiple antennas.  We could throw switches and work guys
calling off the back, or both antenna's at the same time, and more.

THIS YEAR I EXPERIENCED THE "SPRAY" TECHNIQUE FROM MY HOME STATION IN W7!

I brought home a STEPPIR 3el Yagi (www.steppir.com) and assembled it in the
grass,
which took 45 minutes to assemble, leaned it on the roof, hoisted it
up to the apex where it balanced pointed EAST and WEST for the weekend.
(ON THE SHINGLES, literally!)

The vertical I was previously using was reported 4-6 S-units down
immediately, E/W both.
I kept it up for those proven noon-time Northern EU Openings + it provided
a bonus round with
the local E we experienced in the PM when the bands became still.  (these
signals were
non-existant on the beam in any direction, but the vertical was making the
Q's).

The W7 BOYS of the Pacific NW were lined up and down the band all smiles
seemingly; everyone
snagging Q's and having a blast!

E SKIP:  brought W6 MT, AZ, & CO, with later blips of TX and OH, and
strangely 1 other
DX - K1TO, and LP too.. "that was cool Dan, not sure I worked ya, but
recored the whole thing."

PUSH OF A BUTTON:  During the Day-time the signals rolled in from the East
from Western EU, Africa,
Caribbean, and South America, with a PUSH OF THE BUTTON, instantly I'm
snooping out the
JA/VK/Pacific Rim openers. (with 100w I wanted to be first in line, this
allowed just that)

When the band opened to JA, and was still hot east, the BI-DIRECTIONAL feature
became amazing!  This is a 2el yagi in EACH DIRECTION!  The rate this
allowed was much more
than beaming in either one direction.. no frequency thieves this
weekend.  Bi-directional
was the way to go.

THE RATE:  soared at times with the 10/hr meter in the mid 200 peaks.
Long enough run-spurts to bring memory lane into view!

Sure didn't matter where you dropped in, the CQ's were answered almost
immediately!
RARE from W7 in my experiences.

100w and a 3el yagi at 25' doesn't seem like much, but this weekend,
running 2 directions,
excellent 10m conditions, and the comfort of slippers and sipping egg nog
latte's with my
young family...

A Great weekend.  Thanks & 73

Jon - KL2A/W7

PS.  Recorded the whole contest.  Fun tuning around, all over again.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---