[3830] ARRL 10 WC1M SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dick.green@valley.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WC1M SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:54:10 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WC1M
Operator(s): WC1M
Station: WC1M

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   CW:  730   119
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  730   119  Total Score = 347,956

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Antenna: 6-el @ 50'

Most I've done in this contest: only did it once before -- 288 Qs in '97 (back
in my CT days!) Did a lot of S&P for practice. Got all states except IA and DC.
Can understand DC, but where were all the Iowans? Did OK on VEs, but missed NWT,
LAB and PEI. Snagged YT, though. Couldn't work out the schedule to do the
morning runs for very long. Really blew Saturday AM -- the beam was pointing SW
instead of NE. That was the result of my "clever" design that shares one rotor
controller and one cable between three rotors (using a remote relay box.) Forgot
to turn the switch from 20m to 10m, so I turned the wrong antenna! Didn't notice
'til it was too late. Amazing that I could still work 100/hr off the back of the
beam! Probably would have been 130-150 pointing the right way. Need to figure
out a more dramatic indicator system to let me know which rotor is selected. Got
only one hour in Sunday AM before I had family obligations. Did about 150 Qs in
that hour, so the practice was decent. Never got the rate meter over 174,
though. Fun contest. I'll have to try mixed mode one of these years -- looks
like even more fun.

73, Dick WC1M