[3830] NAQP CW W0ETT/M Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ett@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W0ETT/M Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:46:09 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: W0ETT/M
Operator(s): W0ETT
Station: W0ETT/M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WY
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  402   138  Total Score = 55,476

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GMCC #1

Comments:

Enjoyed the January '03 CW NAQP - good signals and ops!

Operated my mobile in southern Cheyenne, WY at the Welcome/Info Center parking
lot just south of I-80 on I-25.  Used a FT100D with 100w to a Yaesu ATAS tunable
mobile whip on top of the van and operated 10 thru 40m.  Was going to put up a
center fed dipole on a 30 ft push up mast for 80m but didn't think the info ctr
parking lot was the place to do that - and didn't want to move to another
location during the contest.  Tried using my laptop for logging using a
converter off the car battery which worked out very well.  I did shut down once
when I turned the engine on to warm up the vehicle - it was only 20 degrees F
outside.  Laptop recovered just fine - good logging program from N3FJP.

Bands seemed in good shape with many very loud signals.  (Do we really need more
than 100w for contests?)  The tuner in the FT100D/ATAS combo overheated due to
the number of guys who asked for a QSY/band change.  I QSYed for anyone who
asked and made contact with most but not all due to condx.  The tuner overheated
when I changed to another band with K6LL and I was out of commission for about
10-15 minutes until it cooled off.  Never did find him after that.  The rig and
mobile antenna worked well but it would be better to use a multiband dipole or
vertical for faster QSY.  Will look into it.

Was pleased to work WC7S in WY on 10m for a mult but didn't hear any others.
Also, I was glad to work a number of GMCCers and CO stations:  N2IC (1 bnd),
N4VI (4 bnds), K0FX (at least 2), N0HF (2 bnds), K8FC (1 bnd), and W0ZP (2).
Couldn't get the attention of W0UA or K0UK through the pileups with my weak
mobile signal.  I called Bill K0UK for about 5 minutes on 20m but no go. Other
close in states were tough for my mobile set up but somehow I managed to work
K7RE in SD on 3 bands - he must have good ears!

Thanks for the QSOs and 73 -  Ken, W0ETT/mobile