[3830] NAQP SSB W6YX M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W6YX M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:57:22 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6IF,K6UFO,N7MH,W6LD
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   22    11
   80:  126    32
   40:  307    51
   20:  517    62
   15:  571    57
   10:  714    55
-------------------
Total: 2257   268  Total Score = 604,876

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I had hoped to have everything ready before the start of the contest and came
very close.  We set up a final logging computer with seconds to go, but didn't
have time to establish run frequencies so we had a poor first few minutes.  Then
things picked up and we finished with 192 Q's on 10 and 98 Q's on 15 in the
first hour.

After about an hour I glanced over at the Six-Paks and noticed that the 15-meter
station had the switches in the 40-meter antenna position.  They had been doing
almost 100/hour rates on 15 meters using our broken M2 40-meter Yagi (just the 2
driven elements are left on the boom of the original 4 elements).  After
switching to the "right" antenna we only beat the first hour's QSO count on 15
once, in the second hour with 104 Q's.

Mark, K6UFO, was our iron man in this contest, operating the full 12 hours.
Everyone else had conflicts and operated 7 hours or less, but somehow we managed
to keep 2 operating positions occupied for the entire contest.

The low bands were a real struggle.  80 meters, which had been so wide open on
CW was being its usual self instead.  I finally managed to work a few mults in
the last half hour that couldn't hear me before that.  We had reconfigured our
160-meter inverted vee as a dipole between towers, which prevents the legs from
touching the towers, but still doesn't work very well on 160.

Thanks to everyone for the Q's.

-Mike, N7MH