[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:48:22 -0800
                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC, K9TM, WX3M
Station: K8CC

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: EN82
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  228    57
    2:  224    40
  222:   52    29
  432:   93    31
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  597   157  Total Score = 116,494

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment:

50   IC-746Pro, 8877, 7L@90', omni loops at 70'/50'
144  FT-1000MP/xvtr, 2002A, 2x13B2 @ 90', 4Ls N & SE @ 50'
222  IC-756/xvtr, 8877, 16L @ 70'
432  FT-847, 100W brick, 424B @ 80'

Our second year doing this contest with about a 50% increase in score this time.
 Condx did not seem exceptional on the high bands, but 50 MHz had it's moments.
After seeing a VE6 spot a W8 beacon, we CQ'd with the beam west adn was rewarded
with some long haul QSOs.  Late Sunday afternoon we had an opening to the east
coast, but mostly scatter and often difficult to complete the QSOs but many new
grids.  Otherwise, not much enhanced propagation on 144/222/432.

Two major station improvements from September 2002.  The 222/432 tower went from
40' to 70' which got the antennas above the tree line to the east.  The other
improvement was a borrowed single 8877 commercial amp tuned for 228 MHz which
provided 1000W out on 222 MHz.

The effect of the triband 50/144/432 radios is pretty evident from our band
totals.  It's surprising that more people with these radios don't join in the
fun.  (It's my feeling that the need for two or three VHF/UHF antennas and
feedlines stands in the way of the casual operator.)

Our team learned some more lessons, and we have our project list for June.

73,

Dave/K8CC