[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KE8RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke8ro@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KE8RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:00:36 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  189    66  Total Score = 15,048

Club:

Comments:

A marginal effort on my part.  I did not miss any sleep from Saturday night to
Sunday morning, actually sleeping in on Sunday.  I worked 60 all time new
callsigns that I had never worked before.  I am sure several are due to the
vanity callsign thing.

I only operate three bands with single antennas so no records here!  I suffered
as many did, with line noise due to the strong winds (20+ mph wind gusts).  My
line noise really did not effect my operation until Sunday morning when I got on
the air.  It sure made things hard for the remainder of my effort.

Sunday was the most exciting but most frustrating day of the contest.  I heard a
station in EN80 working several NE stations on 6.  I pointed my antenna's in
that direction and would you know, my line noise was concentrated in that
direction.  I was able to work a handful of stations but I am sure I missed many
due to the noise.

I heard the following on 6 meters around 19JAN03 at 1429 hrs or so; K1TEO and
W3CMP.  It was then followed by W3TMP? AND N1WGL, but I was not able to work any
of them.  Seemed they were there and gone.  Six meters did not open for me until
around 2130 hrs. I was then surprised to get KN4Y on CW after the north east
stations disappeared!  He was the only station I worked from down south and his
signal was strong! I guess that is why 6 meters is so frustrating but fun at the
same time.

For me being right on the lake, my best path is across the water followed by
west or east. The one that, "got away" which I blame on the line noise is, I
believe, KO9X on 2 around 0330z just before the contest ended.  I did work a few
"9" stations on CW that answered my call.  And speaking of CW, once again many
more contacts would not have been possible without the key.  A proven weak
signal mode again!! Strongest and most often heard from my QTH goes to K8CC and
N8KOL.

In conclusion, I did not work any all time new grids but I had fun anyhow.  The
only rover station I worked or even heard was VE3OIL/R, toward the end of the
contest.  Hats off to any rover, especially those who venture out in this
January weather.  Most comical part of the contest was having both myself and
K8RO Dale, on the air working stations. According to Dale, my callsign is almost
perfect...hum.....

Thanks to everyone who worked ARS KE8RO and those who tried.  See everyone in
June!

73,
Phil KE8RO  EN81om
Lakeside-Marblehead, Ohio