[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0jk@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:37:04 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  34     21  Total Score = 819

Club:

Comments:

I agree with W9GKA that "QRP Portable is a challenging experience in winter!"
Just getting a portable station set up and runnning in the cold is a challenge.
It is amazing how cold it gets out on the prairie when the sun goes down. :-)

Here in Kansas had a cold windy Saturday, freezing fog in the evening and a
mild sunny Sunday with 50 deg. Saturday evening had some fair winter tropo
to the south. I worked W5LUA, WA5TKU and WW2R/5 all EM13 in the Dallas/Fort
Worth metroplex on 2 Meters. They are about 400 miles away from my QTH in the
Flint Hills. I ran 10 watts and a 4 element yagi on 2 Meters. Heard WØEEA DM79
for over an hour on 144.205 but no QSO.

I duct taped a 432 quagi to the antenna mast. The duct tape wouldn't stick good
because of the cold, but the antenna stayed up long enough to work 4 grids with
it. Mostly local stuff - EM16, 17, 18 and 27. Sunday evening WØKT EM49 answered
my CQ for another "DX" QSO on 2M.

The 6 Meter Es opening Sunday afternoon between the east coast and midwest
in the VHF Sweepstakes was exciting, but I missed most of it.

I went out to lunch with my wife ~ 2:30 pm(2030 utc) Sunday afternoon - (usually
a slow time for the Jan.contest) and got back home around 4 pm. I loaded the
radios back in the car and drove back out to the "Cattle Pens" where I was
operating single op port. It takes about an hour to make the drive. I listened
to 6 on the way, but only some very weak stations heard.

Arrived at the 'Pens around 2300 utc and while getting the 2 el 6M yagi up I
heard NG4C and KN4SM on the mobile whip. No luck getting them to answer. Once
the yagi was up they disappeared, but I heard N3DB FM18 with a good signal on
50.180. I worked N3DB at 2325 utc. Thanks Dave for the contact! This turned out
to be my only 6M Es QSO for the contest. While I was working Dave;  Steve,
K0UO/rover pulled up. He could not hear N3DB at all on his whip antenna. The 2
element yagi made the difference.

Heard N3DB and another station in FM18 until about 2335 utc, then the band
folded. Kansas appeared to be on the western edge of the contest Es opening.
NØLL EM09 reported working 25 Es QSOs, WØRT EM27 Parsons, KS made about a dozen.
Both Larry and Rick said the Es were mostly weak. Stations further east (KØAZ
EM37 MO), northeast (KØHA EN10 NE) and southeast in Oklahoma and Arkansas had
louder signals and more contacts. After analyzing this opening, I don't believe
I missed too many contacts... but another 10 or 20 QSOs and new grids would have
helped my score.

I was pleased to make one 6 Meter Es QSO in the contest. Catching an Es opening
in the January VHF SS is a rare treat, more so for a QRP Portable station.