[3830] CQ160 CW N9RV Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pmbarkey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9RV Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:06:18 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV + PACKET
Station: N9RV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 918  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 46  Total Score = 258,427

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Quarter wave wire vert, three 880' two-wire beverages,
IC765/HF-2500.

Thought I might have another op show up, so I turned the packet
box on for this one.  It certainly made for a different, and
probably more interesting, contest.  Especially since I don't
have the technology for listening with a second RX on the same
band.  So I picked up a lot of mults and Q's by picking off the
spots.

Conditions on both nights were extremely quiet here, and I think
I did about as well as I could.  My 160 xmit antenna here is in a
little bit of a hole.  But the tower that supports it keeps growing,
so now it is almost a full sized vertical, which has helped a bit.

Most EU was worked in the pileups -- which were pretty fierce at
times.  Had very few come back to CQ's.  On the other hand, I
managed some nice answers from SA and KH6.  I could hear the EU
coming back to N2NT and others, but not to me!

I didn't have the willpower to take on Saturday night.  There were
W/VE's calling CQ about every 400 hz, and many of them had DX underneath
them.  So whenever I called the DX, I'd get cussed out by the W/VE
protecting his turf.  I've got a pretty thick skin, but after two or
three hours of that I had about had it.  I don't think the abandonment
of the window made this a better contest, sorry.  If you're loud enough
to get DX answers to your CQ's, I am sure you didn't miss it, but it
was sorely missed here.