[3830] NA Sprint CW N9RV HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbarkey@bsu.edu
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N9RV HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:03:44 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   90
   40:  155
   20:  127
---------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Cat #1

Comments:

Hours were:  101-85-88-98

W9RE described this contest as "brutal," and I'd have to agree.
This has always been an intense contest, but this time it was
especially so.  After 4 hours of total warfare, I feel like I
might have clubbed my own grandmother it it netted me a QSO.

Had a disappointing first half hour to this contest.  A familiar software
problem cropped up again in the heat of battle that never can be
re-created outside the contest.  When switching radios, somehow
a control symbol (looks like a left-pointing arrow) appears in the
call sign field.  So when you hit the space bar to call something,
the radio doesn't transmit.  Had this happen four or five times,
each time costing me a doublet.  Finally shut the computer down and
brought it back up and the problem went away.

The RTTY contest just destroyed any chance of getting a good start
on 40m in this one.  When the bulk of Sprint activity came down to
40 at or around 0200z, we muscled the RTTY guys away somewhat.  But
at the beginning of the contest we were like mice in a bowling alley
trying to squeeze in.  I think it was two years ago when we were free
of RTTY QRM that I had one of my best Sprint starts ever on 40m.  I've
been chasing that dream every Sprint since, and I think that's all it
is now -- a dream.

The pileups were so brutal that I ended up using directional antennas
on 80/40 more than I normally would.  I am guessing that is one reason
why my multiplier is so poor.  I called VE9DX in the clear on 40 meters
twice, and each time he came back CQ-ing.  Got beat out the third time
and that was that.  Heard N8NA and W4OC many times but never in the
right synch.  Those two guys have, what, 500 or more Q's between them,
but none of them were me!  The other mults folks are talking about (RI,
VT, WY, VE7, KL7) I never heard a peep out of.

I'm definitely in the N6MJ "haven't figured this contest out yet" camp.
Went into this one much better prepared, but it doesn't show in the
bottom line.  It definitely helps to keep a cool head in a contest,
and in the first hour or so I was anything but that.

There's a serious conflict in this contest with WPX RTTY that needs to
be resolved.

I am also amazed at the prevailing pattern of band changing that short
changes the time spent on 80 meters.  I guess we are all DXers at heart
and we like to follow the MUF.  But if I want to work a W8 or W9 that
is above the ESP level, its about the only band that works.