[3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2up@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:35:52 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:   37    33
   80:  237    68
   40:  688    91
   20: 1022   108
   15: 1002   105
   10:  777    97
-------------------
Total: 3763   502  Total Score = 5,667,078

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Not a great weekend for me. First, the XYL was back in her anti-contesting mode.
No help with food, etc. Guess the great cooperation during CQWW CW was a fluke -
the first and last time...

I thought condx were terrible the first 3 hours, with weak and fluttery signals,
and I considered quitting. However, following the W3BGN adage "stay in the
chair," the disturbance seem to pass by hour 4. Then, there was the snowstorm.
Originally, we were supposed to get snow beginning Friday night. It didn't
happen, until Sunday afternoon. Once it did, the noise was 20 over with snow
static. Using the Beverage helped somewhat. Apologies to those that called me
that I couldn't copy, especially the last few hours on 40m. Monday 11 AM, about
20 inches on the ground and it's still snowing/sleeting.

Last week was hectic for me, and I went into the contest without enough sleep. I
took a break for 2+ hours at 0800Z the first night, feeling I had to sleep to
continue later. I walked away from the radio with a 75/hour just prior to the
break.  The second night seemed very slow, and again, I was very tired. I took a
break at 0300Z (with a 53/hour just prior), and didn't get out of bed until
1030Z. Oh well... I may go back to the civilized way of contesting next year (at
a multiop).

What was with all the QRP stations? Unbelieveable how many 5 watters (and less)
were in there to torture us! They shouldn't give awards to QRPers. It's easy for
them to transmit. We have the hard part - copying them! I recall one 5 watter
from EU I pulled through on 40 after several minutes of struggling, and then
worked him an hour later on 80, which actually was an easier QSO.

Speaking of QRPers, I feel sorry for the OH's. OH has to be the ultimate black
hole. Many of the OH kilowatts were much weaker than the 5 watters from southern
Europe.

'Nuff said. Unless there's a suprise out there (KI1G?), looks like the SOA
battle between me and K3WW will come down to the UBNs.