[3830] ARRLDX CW K5KG M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5kg@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5KG M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:25:49 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG,W4SAA,VE7ZO,N4TO
Station: K5KG

Class: M/M HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   46    32
   80:  179    66
   40:  789    97
   20:  902   104
   15: 1081   104
   10:  892   110
-------------------
Total: 3889   513  Total Score = 5,989,128

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

A mini-Multi/Multi effort to maximize the score for FCG by four ops: K5KG,
W4SAA, VE7ZO and N4TO.  W4ZW came thru at the 11th hour with a throw-down TS-950
to replace a defunct 756ProII.

The mini-M/M used two stations:
Icom 756ProII + PW-1
TS-950 + Acom 1000
C31XR @ 60'
2el 40 @ 75'
80m loop
160m inv L
DX77A trap vertical
WriteLog + Telnet spots

Conditions on the first night on 80 and 20 offered thrills to remember.
European stations on 80 were loud and the band was so quiet it sounded like 20
meters. The European post-sunrise opening on 20 was absolutely spectacular and
resulted in a run of 380 Q's in a little over two hours.

Conditions on the second night were not as good on the low bands.  Band noise
[so common in FL] was back which made digging out the weak ones difficult.  We
did, however, manage to work a fair number of 5 watt Euros, which is pretty
amazing when you think about it.  The number of QRP station worked on the higher
bands was also pretty amazing, and our hats are off to those patient souls.

The one complaint we all had was the predominace of bad spots throughout the
entire contest.  Common ones were BY0T [6Y0T], ST4T [HT4T] and S02R [SO2R],
among many others.  IOHO, someone should do analysis of the incorrect spots to
determinine their source, and then send out the posse!

73, George, K5KG