[3830] ARRLDX CW 6D2YFM M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 6D2YFM M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:26:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 6D2YFM
Operator(s): W5SB, K5ZTY, N1LN, NO5W, XE1YDB, N5DO, XE1YFM, N6MU, W5MJ, K5NZ,
KD1EIJ
Station: 6D2YFM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  283    46
   80:  897    58
   40: 1134    59
   20: 1428    58
   15: 1771    60
   10: 1334    58
-------------------
Total: 6847   339  Total Score = 6,979,860

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

This was our first attempt at putting together a serious M/2 operation.  After
having done Multi-singles for a few years we decided to give it a try. As those
of you that have done this know, it is not an easy task when you must bring all
the necessary radio equipment, computers, coax, spare antennas and antenna
parts, food, pots, pans, cooking supplies, generator, gas, etc. along with you.
Fortunately the towers and yagis are already installed.  Then add to that the
crossing of the US - Mexican border with all that stuff in the SUVs and
Pickups.

The operators are usually all from the Houston and Nuevo Laredo area, but this
year we expanded the team to include some of the regulars from the Texas QSO
party. John Desloge, N6MU, from California and Dave Cockrum, N5DO, from Alpine,
TX signed on to the team.  John was the 2002 First Place non-Texas winner, and
Dave was the 2001 & 2002 First Place Single Op fixed location winner from within
Texas.

Oh yes - - did I mention food? We owe much of our success to Tom Atkins - KD5EIJ
that signed on as the cook. Man did we eat!! It sure is amazing what Tom can do
with some charcoal, and old fireplace, and LOTS OF TALENT. We ate like KINGS.

Now on to the operating. The station is only used twice per year, for the ARRL
DX CW and ARRL DX SSB so we had some antenna maintenance to do on Friday. With
the nine of us, that got worked in short order, including setting up the
stations, putting up the beverages and a "just in case" R7000 that we borrowed
from another club member, Phil Pierce - KK0CW. The bell struck 00:00 UTC and we
were off and running. At about 01:30 UTC the storm from HELL hit us. The rain
started, the wind came up, the thunder and lightening was everywhere. Bruce,
N1LN, was on station #1 and just about jumped out of his skin once when a bright
bolt of lightening snapped across the sky immediately followed by a very loud
thunder clap.  We decided to keep going anyway.  As it turned out that was the
right decision to make.  After the first three hours were over we had 944 Q's in
the log and it was time for the first shift change.  The rate continued for a
while and so did the storm.  It stayed with us until 09:30 UTC (03:30am local).
Needless to say, 160 and 80 were not much good night one, even with the
beverages.

The rates were up and down with everyone having a few real good runs, and after
the first 24 hours we were already ahead of last year's M/2 winning score with
another 24 hours to go.  We knew much more was needed so on we went......until
about 02:30 UTC Sunday. That is when we found out the 40 mtr beam was dead. As
it was 95 feet up, very windy and already dark, we decided to quickly throw
together a dipole sloper.  Well - after we proved that 5 extra class hams under
pressure can't even make a dipole, we were VERY pleased to have the trusty R7000
along. Not quite the beam, but it was able to add over 600 more Q's to our 40
mtr total.  Since we had another distant storm pass through on Saturday night,
we never had a real quiet time for 160 or 80 so those bands remain in the "what
if column".  Fortunately, Uncle Zed, K5ZTY and Madison, W5MJ did a great job of
pulling the signals out of the QRN.

The rest is now history.  We had a great time - made lots of Qs - weathered the
storm - had OUTSTANDING meals..... have I mentioned the food? - and became
closer friends.

Thanks to all that worked us.  An extra BIG thanks to everyone that QSY'd for
us.  Especially our Canadian friends who were almost 100% agreeable to jumping
bands when asked to do so. That really helped the mult total.

We will be back next year on CW and listen for us March 1st and 2nd on the
ARRL-DX-SSB.

73 from the 6D2YFM team,

Bill - W5SB
Bill "Uncle Zed" - K5ZTY