[3830] ARRLDX CW N6W(N6WG) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N6W(N6WG) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:21:20 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6W
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:   2      1
   80:   0      0
   40:   6      6
   20:   8      8
   15:  17     16
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  33     32  Total Score = 3,168

Club:

Comments:

This was more a Hunting Expedition than a contest entry.  I wanted to add more
countries to my total toward the ARRL QRP DXCC award.  After two enjoyable days
of Hunting and Pouncing, I wound up with 15 new countries and a new total of 97.
 I added a few other contacts so I would have enough to make a very modest
contest entry, for the record :-)  It was fun hearing so many calls that were
familiar from domestic contests.

It's been over 30 years since I last entered a DX contest.  I thought that itch
had been seriously scratched once I worked my DXCC back then.  Now it's starting
to itch again.  Oh oh!  Also, I was amazed at the signal strengths of some DX
stations.  Not at all what I recall from the '60s.

I used my K2 at 5w and two 40m tuned dipoles, E-W and N-S, to cover 40, 20 and
15m.  My 160m vertical did the duty on that band.  I can see I'm going to have
to rethink the antenna farm for any serious DXing effort.

I'm looking forward to the next DX outing.  Hope to pick up the remaining
countries then.

Thanks to all who hung in there to complete my QRP contacts.
73, Bob N6WG