[3830] ARRLDX CW K1XM(@W1KM) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1xm@underwater.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K1XM(@W1KM) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:18:11 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1XM
Operator(s): NB1B W1FJ W1KM K1XM K3NA
Station: W1KM

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Fairhaven, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  135    56
   80:  902    88
   40: 1336   107
   20: 1738   122
   15: 1652   119
   10: 1194   112
-------------------
Total: 6957   604  Total Score = 12,586,152

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:

160/10:  FT-1000 (thanks WT1O) and Acom
80: FT-1000mp and AL-1200
40: FT-1000mp and AL-1500
20: FT-1000mp and Alpha 91b
15: IC-765 and Acom

Antennas:

160, 80: 4 squares
40: 4 sq, 3 el @120'
20: 4/4/4(130'); 5 el @100'
15: 6/4/4 (100'); 4 el@ 60'
10: 4/4/4(90'); 6 el @50'

I think this score is high by one multiplier.

We decided to do a multi-5 this year instead of our traditional multi-4.
Eric,
K3NA, had recently moved into the area and had no station.  He made a fine
addition to the crew.

The equipment gods let us off easy this year, leaving the propagation gods to
have their fun with us.  And the storm gods, fortunately, did not arrive until
Monday.

K3NA was the main 160 op.  The band was very quiet but there weren't lots of
strong signals.  We lost a few QSOs here because 160 was shared with 10.

K1XM did most of the 80 meter operating.  It was like pulling teeth.  But we
pulled more teeth than the competition.

NB1B took on 40 meters.  He had to choose his frequencies carefully to avoid
interfering with 20, 15, and 10.

W1FJ is our perennial 20 meter op.  The computer interface did not work but he
spent most of the contest on 14015.  This year 20 closed at night, so Al got
some sleep.

W1KM handled 15 meters.  The rotor on the top of the stack failed (froze?) so
the secondary antenna was used more usual.  A trip up the tower Sunday morning
got the stack aimed at Europe.

K3NA did 10 meters when he wasn't on 160.  Despite the lack of a high "band
opener" antenna he was only 60 QSOs behind KC1XX.

We also had a few problems with RF getting into packet.  This has been a
common problem.  But we're working on it!

The shack is essentially unheated.  When we had all five stations calling
CQ everything was nice, but Sunday morning when there was only one station
on the air it got really cold.  We had to call CQ on dead bands to warm up!

Despite conditions being down from last year we had a blast.  Hey, ARRL,
how about making this a 96 hour contest again?

Thanks again to Greg, W1KM, for allowing us to abuse his station.

[unabashed plug]  The W1KM station will be M/M in the phone contest as W1FJ.
And K1XM will be M/S from Belize with KQ1F, signing V31QQ.