[3830] NAQP RTTY K4RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY K4RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:19:02 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9:30

  160:    0     0
   80:   99    39
   40:  121    43
   20:   70    32
   15:   52    27
   10:   31    14
-------------------
Total:  373   155  Total Score = 57,815

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: TCG Dirt Devils

Comments:

It occured to me after this fun event that RTTY contesting just
might be the most appealing entry point we have for luring
new folks to this game of Radio Sport.  It has it all for the
current generation of computer gamers -- competition, very cool
tecnology, real-time play against real opponents, team competition,
and so forth.  I would hope that the ability to "do battle" with
real RF energy and computer technology would be highly appealing
to the current Game-Boy generation.  Certainly it seems more
appealing than shouting into a microphone endlessly or having
to learn the dreaded CW.  Maybe we should pay more attention to
RTTY as an entry point for new blood?

This was my first try at the RTTY NAQP.  It was a real pleasure
to support one of my most favorite contests on all 3 modes. Thanks
to W0ETC for assembling the teams.  Being on a team always motivates
me to try harder, and adds to the fun.  Something about knowing that
my team mates are in there slugging away along with me.

This was also my first try at using two radios in RTTY.  What I did
is not technically SO2R, because I never transmitted on the second
radio.  I did set up a second receiver connected to a laptop computer
running MMTTY.  I could seach other bands looking for QSOs and mults
while running on the IC765/PK-232 combo.  When I found a needed
station, I would dupe check it in TR-Log.  If it was needed, I would
set the run radio's B-VFO to the "found" S&P frequency and work the
station as quickly as possible, then return to my run frequency.
If it was occupied, I was off looking for another run QRG.  One time
I came back from 20m to 40m and found AA5AU on my old 40m run QRG.
Don insisted that I take the frequency back and use it, even though
I said it was clearly his frequency now.  What a guy! Thanks OM.

The RTTY bunch is the most courteous of all.  Another great reason
to use RTTY as an entry point to introduce newcomers to contesting.

The second receiver worked OK, but it was pretty clumsy to use.
It reminded me of my early days of SO2R on CW with my old 75A-4.
I missed a lot of mults who had moved by the time I got the TX set.
I often wound up pegging the meter on the RX when working the
"found" station on the run radio.  I would forget to ground the
RX antenna or change bands on the RX before calling the station
on the run rig.  It seems my "RX savers" on each radio are doing
their job OK.  If I had one more serial port, I could have used
the new TR-Log "ExchangeRadios" function, and had the process almost
fully automated.  I will hopefully be ready next time.  This would
allow near-SO2R operation with only one TRX and a spare RX.  The
only thing I couldn't do is always be CQing while working somebody.
This is probably as close as I'll be able to get to full SO2R RTTY
using TR-Log.  I could of course set up to transmit with MMTTY, but
I haven't figured out a simple way to prevent simultaneous TX on
both radios.  I enjoyed reading VE7FO's SO1.5R attempts also.

As for the contest, rain static was very bad, like last weekend.
People are building arcs around here, it's been raining for so long.
The short Beverage antennas once again saved the day.  Those cheap
little wires and CATV drop cable remain the best QSO/dollar investment
I've made in my station.  I noticed very little moving of stations,
unlike the CW and SSB versions of the NAQP.  Perhaps this will catch
on with the RTTY crowd in time.  For me, moving mults is a big part
of the fun and challenge of the NAQP.  Best DX was UX0FF calling my
100 watt CQ on 40 meters!  I guess my boom antenna does indeed work OK.

Lowlights included taking a 2.5 hour break and missing a half-hour
of operating time.  Also, brag fiiles really have no place in a
RTTY contest.  One guy (a mult) took 9 minutes to work.  I also wish
that 160m was included like the other NAQPs.  I could have easily
made another 50 QSOs with 160m.  Sorry for asking ZF2NT to move to a
band where we'd already worked.  No way to elegantly handle tail-enders
with TR-Log in RTTY yet.  The next QSO after the tail-ender always got
messed up.  Also still no way to insert a CR/LF before each message
in TR-Log.  These things might be fixable by KK1L someday.

Station #1
IC-765, PK-232, TR-Log.  Two tribanders on one tower, wires.

Station #2
IC-765 (RX only)  MMTTY 1.61, ground-mounted 4BTV vertical.

  HOUR   80DIG   40DIG   20DIG   15DIG   10DIG   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       0       0       0      19      16      35      35
   19       0       0       0      14      12      26      61
   20       0       0       0       7       1       8      69
   21       0       0       0       0       0       0      69
   22       0       0      12       1       1      14      83
   23       0       8      32       7       0      47     130

    0       0      15      19       4       1      39     169
    1       0      38       6       0       0      44     213
    2       0      46       1       0       0      47     260
    3      46       6       0       0       0      52     312
    4      34       4       0       0       0      38     350
    5      19       4       0       0       0      23     373

  TOTAL    99     121      70      52      31

   1.           Ca   58
   2.           Az   20
   3.           Pa   18
   4.          vE3   15
   5.           Wa   14
   6.           Il   13
   7.           Fl   13
   8.           Tn   11
   9.           Ia   11
  10.           Co   11
  11.           Ky   10
  12.           Wi    9
  13.           Mn    9
  14.           Mo    9
  15.           Al    9
  16.           Ma    8
  17.           Ct    8
  18.           Ny    8
  19.           Id    7
  20.           Tx    6
  21.           Hi    6
  22.          vE7    6
  23.           Oh    6
  24.          vE6    5
  25.           La    5
  26.           In    5
  27.           Mi    5
  28.          vE1    4
  29.           ZF    4
  30.           Or    4
  31.           Wy    4
  32.           Nj    4
  33.           Ms    3
  34.           Ri    3
  35.           Va    3
  36.          vE2    3
  37.           Ks    3
  38.           Ok    3
  39.           Ut    2
  40.           Nv    2
  41.           Md    2
  42.           Ga    2
  43.           Nc    2
  44.           Sc    2
  45.          vE9    2
  46.           Me    1
  47.       ZDENEK    1
  48.        ARPAD    1
  49.           HI    1
  50.           Nh    1
  51.          KP4    1
  52.        CHRIS    1
  53.           HR    1
  54.          TAC    1
  55.       WALTER    1
  56.         HISA    1
  57.         NICK    1
  58.           XE    1
  59.           Mt    1
  60.           Sd    1
  61.           Nm    1

 80BTH
Ct      Pa      Ok      Az      Fl      Ma      Co      Wy      Ri      Nc
Mo      Wi      Va      vE3     Il      Mi      Mn      Ks      Md      Sd
La      Al      Ny      Ca      vE1     vE9     Tx      vE2     In      Nm
Tn      Sc      Oh      Ga      Wa      Ky      Or      Ia      vE7

 40BTH
Pa      Il      vE3     Ia      Ms      Md      Nc      Nj      vE9
Wi      Mn      vE6     ZF      Ct      Az      Wa      vE7     Nv
Mo      Tn      Co      Fl      Va      Ky      Sc      vE1     Mt
La      Ma      Mi      Ks      Oh      Ga      Id      Ri
Al      Ny      Tx      Ca      In      Wy      Or      Hi

 20BTH
Ri      Ia      Co      Ca      Ma      vE1     vE2     XE
Fl      vE3     Wa      vE6     Nj      Tx      ZF      Wy
Wi      Mn      Az      Va      Tn      Nv      Mo      Hi
Ny      Pa      In      vE7     Id      Mi      Ut      Al

 15BTH
Ma      Ct      ZF      Ia      Tx      KP4     Hi      Mn      Wa
vE3     Me      Tn      Co      Nh      Or      Ms      Wy      Ut
Ca      vE1     Az      Id      vE6     Ky      Oh      La      vE2

 10BTH
Ca      HI      Il      Wa      Id      Hi      HR
Ky      Az      Pa      Tn      ZF      vE7     Ia