[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5ZD SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5zd@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5ZD SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:21:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5

  160:   29    26
   80:  179    59
   40:  176    64
   20:  421    85
   15:  373    78
   10:  356    74
-------------------
Total: 1534   386  Total Score = 1,776,372

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This contest is the 10th anniversary of moving to this QTH.

Had 3 goals for the weekend
- Give my wife a break from 24/7 child care (i.e. babysit)
- Take my wife to dinner
- Make 1 Million points without operating too much

Well, made 3 out of 3 but did operate more than I wanted.  It is just hard to
stop once I go into DXer mode and chase multipliers.  Spent about 60% of
operating time in S&P looking for countries.

Congrats to the following six banders:
9A1A        HG6N        9A7A        MU2A        TM5C        DH1NFL
RW2F        EA8BH       PJ2T        FY5KE       WP3R        8P1A
HU1A        VP5B        VP5A

Had 27 other 5 banders.

These contests are a LOT more fun when you aren't trying to win!  The operating
is more easier when you are awake and you can stop any time the QRM is getting
too tiring.  Is this a sign I am getting old?  :)

Two observations.

- Too much splatter.  Very wide signals with too much speech processing.  I
guess this is just something we have to live with since it makes a clear
frequency for the guy doing the splattering, and the rest of us have to put up
with it.  I did not work some stations that had bad signals.

- Too many, "Thanks, QRZ?"  Please send your call!!!  Not all of us are on
packet.

Randy, K5ZD
www.k5zd.com