[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@JUNO.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:17:57 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    5     5
   80:   34    26
   40:   69    48
   20:  175    76
   15:  248    75
   10:  278    74
-------------------
Total:  808   304  Total Score = 736,896

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

You don't have to be crazy to enter the Phone DX Contest as a serious QRP
operator, but it helps, especially if you don't have a voice keyer !    By 18Z
Saturday I was already having to conserve my voice.

I knew the 10M openings were going to be short and / or marginal so I spent a
lot of time there when the sun was up which hurt my 15M totals.  Northern and
Eastern Europe was conspicuous by it's absense (No OH, SM, or UA worked on 10M
and only one UT).  The JA opening was a pleasant surprise with 38 JA's worked
versus only 2 on 10M CW.  In spite of this concentrated effort, 10M totals were
down by 200 Q's and 12 countries.

40M Phone was especially tough this year as evidenced by the frequency changes
in listening frequencies called out by the European DX stations.  At one point,
I heard 3 different 9A's all using the same listening frequency :-)

80M was quite good with 10 Europeans worked.

My sleep schedule included 3 naps of 90M each and 4.5 hours Saturday night,
timed to allow me to follow the EU sunrise peak on the low bands.

Country breakdown by Bands and QSO's follows.

4X