[3830] ARRLDX SSB WB3BEL SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WB3BEL SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:07:08 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WB3BEL
Operator(s): WB3BEL
Station: WB3BEL

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  132    59
   15:  172    63
   10:  123    49
-------------------
Total:  427   171  Total Score = 219,051

Club:

Comments:

Still a fun contest although tougher with the lower solar numbers.  Lots of top
notch ops on the rx end.  Thanks for working to pull me thru.  Bad ice/snow in
the CW Test put a hurt on my wire beams, but got enuf pulled back together to
give the phone test a try.  Still a little jittery about being up on the roof
with with a foot of snow!!! All directional wires fixed on EU at 30 - 40 feet.
Power output 5W PEP.  Yaesu FT7 will not split enough to work 40 phone.

Band conditions on Friday were pretty poor and the noise level was high as well.
 Sunday 10m opening to lower EU was fun.  Probably the last of that for this
solar swing and not nearly as much fun as last year.  It's great when 10M
calling stations are using up 500+KHz of this huge band.  Lots more SA in the
log this time around.  Skew path opening on 10 to EU made me switch to
vertical
sunday morning since the wire beam was not as good.

More DX should muscle out a spot on the bands and try to run.  I hear tons of
loud DX sigs working S&P only.  Maybe you don't want to put up with the trouble.
But a well equipped station with low power and a decent antenna will usually
have a killer signal while the propagation is maximized for 30 minutes or so to
a time zone.  I just wish there was more spectrum allocated to this mode during
contests or maybe that we could get folks to reduce their TX Spectrum so that
more stations could find a hole.  Also ditto on all the comments about callsign
ID.  Maybe not every Q but every 2 or 3 max.
See you all in the next one.
-Harry