[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE3KZ SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3kz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE3KZ SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:45:58 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3KZ
Operator(s): VE3KZ
Station: VE3KZ

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Milton, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:    3     3
   20:   94    46
   15:  152    54
   10:  131    47
-------------------
Total:  380   150  Total Score = 171,000

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Another outing in the wonderful world of QRP. It is truly addictive! Mono-band
yagis on 10/15/20 do a great job with 5W. Wire dipoles on 40/80 not so great
unless conditions are very good. Working split on 40 was really wicked this time
and only a few minutes of my 10 hours of operating was spent banging my head
against that wall! Calling FM5GU several times on 80 when no one else was
calling told me that I should retreat to 20m. All those other audible DX
stations on 80m were probably just out of reach.

Only worked 5 QRP DX stations, TI5N, HI3TEJ(2 bands), LU3DR, LT1A and HC1HC.
Most stations I could work were S9+. Best catches were JT1CO, S9SS, UQ1D,
TA1ZK/0, and S59W. The last was Tom who hosted VE3BMV and I at WRTC2000. Great
to hear him on! Of course when operating QRP every station is rare DX! Four
banders were PJ2T and 9A1A. Lots of three banders.

Thanks for the ears, folks!

73 Bob VE3KZ