[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1CTN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W1CTN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:32:10 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): DAVE
Station: W1CTN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 24.9

  160:   12    11
   80:   74    39
   40:   73    44
   20:  197    75
   15:  290    73
   10:  235    76
-------------------
Total:  881   318  Total Score = 840,474

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: FT 1000 MP MARK V @ 100 WATTS OUTPUT

Antennas:   160: Quarter wave inverted L - 45' vertical section
                        80: Dipole at 40 feet
                        40: Dipole at 45 feet
                   20-10: Classic 33 at 45 feet
                   20-10: Separate 2 element monobander at 30' fixed on South
American and Caribbean

This contest has shown us the "shape of things to come" for the next few years.
The poor propagation on the high bands Saturday will just get progressively
worst as the sunspot cycle shifts to the other side of the
coin. At least we had good propagation on Sunday.

I did find at 0000z Saturday some good Asian openings on 15 meters, JA and D88 -
with a better signal over the South Pole. Worked some 20 and then the low bands,
which are always difficult the 1st night with everyone fighting to be the top
dog.

Saturday was the pits.

Skewed paths to Europe and signals bordering on reception via ESP made it quite
difficult. Anyone who has played the game, casual or serious, over the last
couple of years have forgotten how bad conditions can get.

I know I have. My score was only 2/3rds of last years efforts and it wasn't easy
to make it there.

A new local contester remarked that Saturday operating was more of a job than a
hobby !!! Maybe so, but it only increases your skill level.

Sunday was a pardon from the propagation warden. I found the 10 meter EU path
still skewed but at least
good signal strengths prevailed. An SU9, tucked close to a W3 powerhouse,
calling with no takers. I got him and then worked him later on 20.  A V51 was
like a lion tamer in a circus, keeping the crowd of callers  control. The
pileups were deep and any new DX had the world calling him or her.

10 had some juicy mults on it all day, but 15 proved to be my moneymaker band.

Mr. Murphy did strike twice this year.

1st strike was on my digital voice keyer. He thought it would be okay to let it
operate in the programmed mode, but he got quite a laugh when he disabled my
ability to key the headset through the DVK. So no DVK operation this time.

The second hit was on my alarm clock, which was set for 0800Z Sunday. While I
slept with visions of 160/80/40 early morning multipliers in my log, he turned
off the alarm and I awoke at 1200Z . This was worst than my dog eating my
homework in grammer school !!

Well, good conditions or bad, just play the game. I did , as a little pistol ,
and had a great time.

73
Dave - W1CTN
Yankee Clipper Contest Club --->We "KICK BUTT"  Good conditions or bad...160 to
10 meters