[3830] Commonwealth G4PIQ/P(@G4MRS) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth G4PIQ/P(@G4MRS) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 03:57:26 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: G4PIQ/P
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4MRS

Class: Open HP
QTH: JO02PB
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:   48
   40:   87
   20:  120
   15:  105
   10:   79
------------
Total:  439  Total Score = 7,730

Club:

Comments:

BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs  Bonuses   Points       Bonus Points

   80CW       49          48        30          240             600
   40CW       90          87        57          435             1140
   20CW      122         120        68          600             1360
   15CW      107         105        66          520             1320
   10CW       79          79        56          395             1120

 Totals      447         439       277          2190            5540

        Final Score = 7730 points.

        Total Band Call Areas : 170

My first serious attempt at BERU and I'll confess that I wasn't sure what I
was going to make of it - a 24 hour HF contest with lower rates than a 2m
contest...... However - I have to say I really enjoyed most of it (had a
small dozing off fit around dawn when the rate really fell off the planet).
I took some stuff along to read, but SO2R meant that I never had time to
deal with that! It felt a bit like a VHF contest - trying to wring the last
drips out of the band!

Was worried by 10m - thought it might not would open beyond VE3, but in the
end worked a decent set of left coast stations. Good to catch some of the VK
and ZL folks on 80, but I couldn't hear all that Clive, POI was working. 80
was definitely my worst band - didn't feel very loud and got beaten out in
more pile-ups on that band.

Had an awful start - putting station together until 10:02 (so that's
normal), but took an hour for me to remember how to drive the station (TR!)
properly.

Tied myself in knots sometimes moving by two stations in different
directions at the same time - need to press the enter key to capture the log
band at the right time!

Site noise not too painful on this contest until Sunday morning where it
cost me several QSOs on 15/10 to VK/ZL. Seems there are a few intermittents
on the antennas which need looking at, but other than that nothing went too
wrong.

Gear : 2 x FT1000MP + LK800 + Alpha 87A
80m :  Delta loop @ 23m
40m :  402CD @ 24m