[3830] ARRLDX CW W3EF SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3EF SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:23:10 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   12    10
   80:   78    45
   40:  283    73
   20:  404    72
   15:  536    77
   10:  478    74
-------------------
Total: 1791   351  Total Score = 1,883,817

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first all-out single op effort in ARRL DX CW, though I had done
multi-op and dxpedition entries in the past (including D68C in 2001).  What a
blast!  Clearly conditions were down from last year and many stations saw their
scores drop by 20-50%.  Still, for me it was a thrill to break 1.8 million in
the low power category with a tribander and wires.  Absolutely essential were
the 760' EU beverage and the 2' of snow (put a real ground plane under my 40 and
80 vertical wires, which had only elevated radials--and precious few of those).
Most missed item was a 40M beam (still sitting in the garage -- but this will be
the year!); I was completely unable to run on the low bands except for a few
short periods on 40.

Thanks to all who called in.  In general I thought operating behavior in this
contest was excellent -- congrats to everyone!

73,
Maury  W3EF / G0UHK