[3830] Rus DX W7UQ(KL9A) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX W7UQ(KL9A) SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:20:18 -0800
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: W7UQ

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Moscow, ID
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:    1     1
   80:    3     2
   40:    9     4
   20:  175    69
   15:   90    37
   10:    7     6
-------------------
Total:  285   119  Total Score = 177,786

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Team:

Comments:

RDXC is always a good time.  I had planned on going Mixed LP, but after the
first couple hours I was having too much fun on CW, so I stuck with it.  My only
SSB QSO was RN0CT on 80m.  The low bands were worse than usual, never working a
JA on 40, and only hearing one just barely above the noise.

It was nice to hear 20 and 15 open in the morning.  I was keeping up with the
west coast HP guys on the high bands, after they smoked me on the low bands that
morning.  Lots and lots of mults never heard me on 40 and 80.  UA9YAB has
amazing ears though!  He was great copy for about 2 hours at the start on 40m.
Even though the rate in this contest was amazingly slow with my first hour of 9
qso's and my best hour (1500z)a whopping 40, it was still a lot of fun.  I
managed to sweet talk a few mults into giving me a qso number for the contest.
It's too bad I am going to lose those qso's (and mults) thanks to the very
stupid log checking in RDXC.  In 2000 I did this contest from Alaska, and I lost
something like 12.9% of my qso's, ONLY because they were uniques!  They were
simply casual operators who heard a KL7 on and worked me as number 1.  I bet I
can show almost every single QSL card for those Q's.  Oh well, it's still more
fun than doing FQP for an hour and then quitting.

After not sleeping at all the night before, and with the 4am start time, I was
going a long time with no sleep.  I think the combination of no sleep and no
food caught up to me just after 0100z.  I started getting paranoid that someone
was watching me, and whenever I sent CW it would startle me.  I could have sworm
the garbage bag in the shack was a cat sitting perfectly still.  I figured it
was time to leave when I kept seeing things moving out of the corner of my eye.
It's too bad too, as 20m was starting to get good over the pole.  On the way
home I was mad because I thought I had a flat tire.  Oh well, my apartment was
pretty close, and I could make it until then.  Passing the cop on the way there
really freaked me out and I was probably going about 5mph so I didn't speed. :)
I was in bad shape... but the rain looked really cool to me, so that made me
happy.  When I got home that stupid cat was still in the living room (we don't
have cats, or any pets) and I was wondering how it beat me there.  My roomate
was gone, and it smelled like cat litter in the apartment.  He was hiding two
cats in his room!  That had to be it.  That also explained the noises coming out
of his room.  After eating some food and freaking out a little more, I decided
to lay on the couch and watch TV.  That was just about the time my shoes started
moving on their own, and I was seeing a lot of things out of the corners of my
eyes.  I don't remember getting up and going to bed, but man I sure needed it!!!
 I have never been so freaked out in my life.  Sleep deprivation and no food
REALLY got to me for some reason.  It's pretty funny now that I think about it,
but I was scared yesterday!

Good job by Mike, WA6O.  He was working 2 radios really hard the whole time.

At least in WPX I can sleep (and eat pizza...)

-Chris KL9A