[3830] MiQP K8MR/M Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8MR/M Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:43:16 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR/M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 19 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   24      0
   40:  535    159
   20:  166     19
   15:   22      7
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  747    185  CW Mults = 77  Ph Mults = 56  Total Score = 223,307

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

2003 Michigan QSO Party   K8MR/m  ( + W8DRZ, Designated Driver)

         CW     SSB
OTSE     26      2
ANTR     41      2
CHAR     45      3
EMME     32      5
CHEB     29      4
PRES     55      8
MTMO     46     10
ALPE     42      4
ALCO     34     20
OSCO     54     13
CRAW     34      9
ROSC     42     11
OGEM     38     27
IOSC     35     11
AREN     64     10
BAY      48      6
SAGI     28      5
GENE     34     28
LIVI     20      7

       747 CW QSOS             185  SSB QSOS
       37  CW Counties          25  SSB Counties
       40  CW States/Prov       31  SSB States/Prov

       932 QSOS        133 Multipliers      223,307 Claimed Score

It may have been spring in the south of Michigan, but the north was still
waiting for green to return. But after driving through fog for most of the
morning on the way to our starting point, we managed to find the good weather
day of the week, with temperatures in the 60s by afternoon. There were still
snow piles in parking lots in Gaylord, where we started the contest, and ice
piles along the shoreline in Petoskey. The good news was that we could operate
with the car windows open, even at dusk, and not a single bug was seen.

Conditions were pretty decent, though the skip on 20 meters was not as short as
in previous years, as the sunspot numbers continue their decline. There was not
much activity on 15, though we did work several Europeans in the first few
hours.  40 stayed short, but still had Europeans such as OK2PAY and 7S3A call in
with good signals.

Only two minor equipment problems:  after switching antennas from the daytime
40/20 setup to the nighttime 80/40, we found that the 40 CW was just out of
range for the IC-746's tuner.  But while finding a place to stop to lenghten the
HamStick, with the SWR pegged and the IC-746 showing about 5 watts out, we still
had a roaring pileup from Saginaw county.  Also, after working OK at first, the
80 meter antenna decided to no longer tune in Saginaw county.  After the contest
we found it to the top hat radial had bent down next to the antenna; bending it
up again fixed the problem.

The only navagitional error was getting onto I-75 south near Flint, instead of
staying on M-23 and taking it to I-96 to I-275 to I-75.  Had problems getting
back onto M-23, wasting maybe 15 minutes in Genessee county.  So we did not make
it to Oakland county by the end.  We hope nobody missed Oakland because of
that.

W8DRZ's GPS toy revealed that we spent 8 hours moving, 4 hours parked, for 403
miles during the contest.  So perhaps we could have done another 4 or 5 counties
had we been moving more, but since many of our counties were ones unlikely to
have any other activity, we wanted to do them well.  The frequent breaks also
made things less strenuous for the Designated Driver.  One stop allowed DRZ to
play on a tank parked in front of a VFW hall in St. Helens in Roscommon
county.

Amazingly we saw no deer, but did see several wild turkeys along I-75 in
Roscommon and Crawford counties.

All in all, a lot of fun.  Thank to all who were active.  Next road trip, the
Ohio Bicentennial QSO Party on Saturday, August 24.

73  -  Jim  K8MR