[3830] FlQP N3AWS MobileSSB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP N3AWS MobileSSB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:05:49 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: N3AWS
Operator(s): N3AWS
Station: N3AWS

Class: MobileSSB QRP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   40:   0       0
   20:   0     115
   15:   0       0
   10:   0       0
--------------------
Total:   0     115  CW Mults = 0  Ph Mults = 6  Total Score = 2,076

Club:

Comments:

What's wrong with me???  Single op, mobile, single band, SSB, QRP?  Am I
crazy???

First of all, BIG THANK YOU's to the following:  my XYL (Frances) for driving,
the harmonics (Jeni 11, Jesi 5) for putting up with dad's strange hobby [how
many other mobile ops played Scrabble and Monopoly while operating(?)--please
let me go diectly to jail], and to those who worked me in multiple counties.
W8MJ worked me in 15/16, and Keith WA3HAE worked me in 9/16--sorry Keith, I
really tried to find you in the others, but propagation wasn't the best.  It was
a REAL BOOST in morale that Keith had printed out our schedule and was tracking
us as we went along.

As many know, we ended up going in reverse order due to a late start on Saturday
which found me operating the first two hours of the contest from our diveway in
DUVAL.  In addition, we had to quit early with DIXIE being the county activated
as Frances was suffering from driver fatique and Jeni needed to get back home to
complete her homework for Monday.  Sorry to those who made specific requests
which we just couldn't honor--we did our best.

Two LOUDEST signals had to be NF4A when we passed him stopped at the side of the
road in TAYLOR and N4PN when we passed his home with nothing between us but a
few miles of salt water.  Other big signals:  W8MJ, WA3HAE, N9RV, S51CK.

Scariest moment, when the Hustler antenna folded over at the base while driving
along 10 East at 70 MPH on Saturday.

Never heard enough signals on 15 or 40 to make it worth changing resonators.
Rig was the ever reliable Icom 706 MkIIG with stock SSB filter.  Despite mobile
antenna and QRPp power, I was able to work 95% of the stations heard--a tribute
to their ability to pull out the weak ones.

A couple questions:
1.  Where do I post the pictures of the trip?
2.  Any of the big time mobileers went to get a seminar on how they did it?

73,  Jim N3AWS