[3830] ARRL June VHF VP9/N0JK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0jk@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VP9/N0JK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:36:52 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  371   116  Total Score = 43,036

Club:

Comments:

Too bad the contest didn't include Friday eve - had a great Es opening all the
way to the west coast. At the start of the contest had weak Es to 8, 9, and
zeros at the edge of single hop Es out to the "Es void" (between single and
double hop Es). Gave Jeff K1MOD en40 his #100 country on 6M for DXCC. Worked
K5AM DM54 Saturday evening for my best DX(that I can count) for the contest.
Most of Saturday evening was an excercise(K5TR - I heard you) in frustration as
I could hear 4s and 5s, but most had their antennas pointed away from me. Sunday
morning I had 9K points and no Es. Noted good scatter signals from K1TEO, N2PA,
N3EAR, W2SZ/1, K8GP, etc peaking around 1100 - 1200 utc. Sounded just what I
usually hear from Kansas, except pointing west. :-) Sunday afternoon Es started
to Florida, Virgin Is. (worked both grids there) and W1, and VE1. Highlight of
the contest was catching a 1/2 hour 6M opening to Europe at 2020 utc Sunday and
logging a dozen Gs and ONs. Sadly... the ARRL says none of these will count for
my score. Sunday evening finally got a solid Es opening to "mother lode" (1, 2,
3, 4, and 8 land) and ran off nearly 200 contacts. Big signals from Bernie,
W3UR, K2AXX, and Dave K8CC. Es began dying out around 0100 and last station
heard was K8GP CQing on 50.143 CW 'til 0130 utc June 16.

So ... considering how the contest started I feel I finished with a respectable
score. I monitored and called CQ on 144.200 MHz often, but no signals heard.

Station: 6M  IC-706MII, 5 el M2 at 20 feet.
         2M  same radio, CC Jr. Boomer at 20 feet.

QTH FM72 at VP9GE's(tnx Ed for your help!)