[3830] ARRL FD W7MT 3A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4xu@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W7MT 3A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:27:25 -0700

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club:

Comments:

18z all band conditions were very poor, and improved only slightly over the next
12 hours. We closed down at 1AM local sunday AM, nothing left to work. 0530
local 20m was just starting to open, 75ssb and 40m were okay. After 0830 local
both 20 and 15m started to open quickly and we finished with 160/hr rates until
11AM (18Z) shutdown.

With a couple of new cw-compliant members, the club did much better than
previous years, at least on a points/head basis. Still, with an average age of
65+ it's harder to keep guys in the saddle for more than three hours at a
stretch. Our newest member would have been eligible for a GOTA but we chose to
do training on one of the operating stations instead. We use FD as trainging and
shakedown for our annual expedition to Modoc County for the CQP. After all, FD
is not a contest, right?

Antennas:
TH3 jr @ 30'
TA33 @ 50'
40m 2 el wire Delta loop, flat top at 85' fixed east -- works like a champ!
80m inverted V with apex at 80'
Rigs:
2x Omni 6+ for cw
TS 440 for ssb.
IC 706 for 6m

We operate from deep within the Deschutes National Forest on a ridge east of the
Metolious River, twenty miles north of Sisters Oregon. Elevation 5500' with a 40
mile continuous slope to the east. Plenty of 140' ponderosa pines for LF antenna
support. Better not forget anything, it's 30 miles on mostly dirt roads back to
civilization.

K4XU, pres.