[3830] Only working your own society's station and nobody elses

To: Robert Bajuk <s57aw@bit.si>
Subject: [3830] Only working your own society's station and nobody elses
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:12:19 -0400
The more I hear this idea the more intrigued of it I become... my initial thinking was negative based on prior operating experiences form a HQ station... the thrill I had of being able to run run run since we were essentially DX (a multiplier) was to some extent fueled by those same county QSOs. This is kind of like the argument put forth by N6AA a few years back about unique QSOs made with buddies and then the switch being thrown to off.

I know the impact to W1AW/# operations would be great - but - if there are guys who are being coerced into getting on to only work their national society's station in an effort to run up QSO totals perhaps this should be a concern to all.

I know that when the Florida Contest Group ran W1AW/4 we had a lot of W contacts...they are not worth a lot, no - but on a band like 20 SSB they do add up! There is no way a country the size of the USA can hope to compete with the European efforts due to the fact that the countries in Europe are smaller and closer so they are "DX" - similar QSOs distance wise here are just another "domestic" call area and of low point value.

For the USA operations of W1AW/# the location of the station plays largely into how much dependence there is on Domestic QSOs - obviously as in any DX competition the Northeast USA will have a decided advantage on the low bands to Europe, here in the Southern USA we have a "domestic advantage" on the higher bands due to North South propagation to the major population centers.

Like any rule change this has the potential to change the history of previous records and as always I am not keen on that...

I would be interested to know how "bad" this has gotten on the other side of the pond... needless to say, if country X hams only work Society X club station and country X has more hams than country Y then this would help "level" things ( I hate that expression ) for ham radio active countries in Europe who are actively pursue these competitions.

A national society like Monaco could probably get 12 band modes worth of QSOs... but certainly could not work as many stations in its own country as say Germany or Nederlands...

Is this bad, or only bad if you are a ham in a smaller country?

Good topic...

Jim, K4OJ

Robert Bajuk wrote:
IMO.. It would be nice to have LP category like in many other contests. I
agree fully with Rob, too. To work only your own HQ and nobody else is
ridiculous, but is happening, particularly in bigger countries. In this case
it would be equal for all the participants.

Robert, S57AW

Change the rule that participants can't work their own HQ station, in
that case many US and DL stations will have to work other stations to
get a high score instead of working only their own HQ station 12 times
and than go QRT. Also the HQ competition will be more equal so more HQ
stations will participate and it that way you also generate more
participants.

Rob Snieder pa5et@muurkrant.com @ PA6HQ "VERON HQ STATION"

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------