[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jdklein@hewitt.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:56:01 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  241    51
    2:  369    53
  222:  120    45
  432:  161    47
  903:   43    24
  1.2:   63    27
  2.3:   35    23
  3.4:   18    12
  5.7:   11    11
  10G:   10     7
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1071   300  Total Score = 535,800

Club:

Comments:

Finished up a nearly year-long tower/antenna improvement project a few days
before the contest. First chance to really try out the new system. The effort
was more than I ever bargained for (rearranging all antennas on 3 different
towers etc. ) and had me wondering many times in recent months whether it was
really worth it. At least based on the results this weekend I'd say it was
worthwhile. Without any real openings my score was the second highest ever
achieved in a VHF contest and only missed my personal record from Sept '01
(large tropo opening) by less than 1%. Grid totals on 222 and above were higher
than ever before except when the bands were really enhanced. 2.3 ghz in
particular was amazing. Signals were often louder on 2.3 than on 1.2 ghz. Never
thought I'd achieve 23 grids on that band! 5.7 ghz was a brand new band. Hadn't
even tried the rig but was thrilled to work KC3WD/r in the first few minutes and
find out it actually worked. Signals on that band were really loud - much louder
than on 3.4 ghz and 10 ghz. Glad that some of the distant folks were able to
pull out my 2w.

Did note some tropo Sunday night to VE1 working FN95 and 84 on 2 and FN95 on
432. Also, local condx on 2 were really enhanced making for lot's of qrm on the
band, hi! Based on beacon strenths the band was about average most of the
weekend which was surprising given that it was either raining or misty almost
the entire time. Very little scatter on 6 though I did have a 3 minute period on
6 were I worked 8 W8/W9 stations in a row. Assume it was scatter though it could
have been a short-lived Es opening?

As usual, rovers made a huge impact on the score. Special tnx to W3IY who
handled the masses chasing him fantastically, N2LBT, VE3OIL, KC3WD, N2MH, AL1VE
etc. Tnx guys - you really make it a lot more fun for everyone! And tnx to Steve
and Sandra at DEM for some extra help gettng me on 5/10 ghz over the last couple
of weeks.

Congrats to my friend KA1ZE for a great score. It was fun competing with such a
great op. And tnx to all for the Q's and Cu in January. Jeff K1TEO