[3830] SCC RTTY DL6FBL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SCC RTTY DL6FBL SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:21:42 -0700
                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: DL6FBL
Operator(s): DL6FBL
Station: DL6FBL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Fulda
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   80:   65  128    35
   40:  119  295    44
   20:  183  449    57
   15:   40   95    25
   10:    0    0     0
------------------------
Total:  407  967   161  Total Score = 155,687

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Hi all,

my very first RTTY contest. I had fun, and I can only encourage other contesters
to try this mode out. I downloaded MMTTY software and followed AA5AU's
instructions to marry it with Writelog, which was very easy. Not so easy was
finding out the correct settings for using the narrow CW filters in LSB mode
(FT-1000MP). I spent over an hour without being able to make one single QSO.
When I switched to 2.0 kHz SSB filter - no problem. Using 500 Hz CW filter - no
way. At midnight UTC AA5AU called in on 20 meters and I told him my problem. He
suggested I use "low tones in the software". I found 915 Hz to be a workable
solution - but I still had to find out that I must use the RIT at -1.21 kHz to
compensate the frequency offset to the 2125 Hz norm! These settings worked
fine!
Thereafter I was easily able to work on 40 and 80 meters:
40 meters: 9x W1, 3x W2, 3x W3, 6x W4, 5x W5, 2x W7 (W6RLL/7 and W7TVF), 4x W8,
6x W9, 4x W0, 11x VE, plus UA9, 4x PY, 2x YV, 1x LU, and in the middle of a
small EU pileup - ZL2BR, loud and clear! Memorable contacts on 80m were TA2ZF,
TF3KX and K4GMH, loud and clear, but the only US station worked.

Thanks again to AA5AU. His help made me stay in the chair - and I will be back
for CQ WW/RJ RTTY contest at the end of the month.

rig: FT-1000MP + Acom 2000A
ant: as usual, but I had to screw and unscrew coax cables at band changes, since
I lent my band filters and TopTen Switch Boxes out to friends for the WAE CW/SSB
contests...

73 Ben
DL6FBL
http://www.dl6fbl.de