[3830] TxQP K5OT/M Multi-Op Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5OT/M Multi-Op Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:19:05 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5OT/M
Operator(s): K5AV, K5OT
Station: K5OT/M

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:   157
   20:  1166
   15:   178
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1501    0       0  Mults = 106  Total Score = 524,318

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Good friend Chris K5AV and I finally got to complete a contest together after
quite a few years ... we had even planned a TQP trip last year, but it didn't
work out.

Vehicle:  Chris' 1991 Toyota Previa (with only 260,000 miles)
Rig:  Kenwood TS-850SAT 100W
Antennas:  Hustler whips for 40/20/15M
Power:  Deep-cycle marine batteries
Log: TR-Log

Strategy:  We decided to do a CW-only effort and tried to maximize the number of
counties activated.  We didn't spend enough time on 40M finding other TX mults
-- the higher bands were just too hot to leave!  More balance needed next time.

Miles driven:  About 1,000 miles during contest hours, plus another 250 miles
getting to the starting point on each day - and then back to Chris' QTH north of
Fort Worth after the contest.

Counties activated [47] :
PARKER, PALO PINTO, ERATH, EASTLAND, STEPHENS, SHACKELFORD, CALLAHAN, TAYLOR,
JONES, FISHER, NOLAN, MITCHELL, HOWARD, GLASSCOCK, MARTIN, MIDLAND, ECTOR,
ANDREWS, GAINES, YOAKUM, TERRY, COCHRAN, HOCKLEY, BAILEY, LAMB, HALE, FLOYD,
CROSBY, GARZA, LYNN, LUBBOCK, SWISHER, RANDALL, POTTER, CARSON, ARMSTRONG,
DONLEY, GRAY, WHEELER, COLLINGSWORTH, CHILDRESS, COTTLE, HARDEMAN, WILBARGER,
WICHITA, CLAY, AND MONTAGUE.

We messed up on the county abbreviation in two counties - in Terry (sent TERR
instead of TERY) and in Hardeman (sent HARD instead of HDMN). Many thanks to
WA3HAE, K4MUT and a couple of others who corrected us during the contest.  I
should have double-checked the exchange files before the contest!

Best rate:  120/hr in the 0000Z hour the first day.  5 hours with over 100 QSOs
per hour ... and 2 more in the 90's.

Nicest surprise:  15M conditions and the EU pileups.  We had some of the best
mobile DX runs that I've ever enjoyed. Thanks, guys!

Biggest problem:  The rig's AGC went completely out during the second hour of
the contest.  We managed to keep going WITHOUT it for the rest of the test.  Try
turning your AGC off and working a pileup at home sometime. Apologies for our
frequent slow response to callers - we still can't hear well, and it's been a
week since the contest!

Consistently loud stations included K8IR, VA7LC, KN4Y, N4TB, and N4PN. Also some
fine QRP signals from KG5U, K5IID, NG7Z, K4IR, VA3DF, and others.

Best-hearing award to K5YAA.  Also to the guys at W5NN - probably K5GA.
Awesome.

Thanks for riding along .... it sure was a blast!

73,

Larry K5OT
and Chris K5AV