[3830] CQWW SSB K3ZO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3zo@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K3ZO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:00:46 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZO
Operator(s): K3ZO
Station: K3ZO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:   13     5       10
   80:  204    16       61
   40:  236    23       78
   20:  408    26       84
   15:  964    30      106
   10:  966    23       99
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well I had to drag my venerable TS-830-S out of mothballs for this
contest as my FT-1000-MP went belly up on Nov. 8 and is presently
in the shop for repairs.  Thanks to John, W2YR, who made up some
audio cables for me on short notice so I could continue to use my audio
system with the replacement rig.  Sorry for the background noise
on the CQ machine, I didn't have time to clean it up and I got a
few comments about it during the contest.  It did take longer to
change bands than I have become used to but I was also reminded
how nice the receive audio in the TS-830-S is.

The two big sunspots which even had the popular press talking about
possible forthcoming disturbances certainly made things interesting.
Ten and fifteen certainly picked up from what they had been but
while conditions were mostly good they were also strange.  It didn't
do much good to get down on 20 early to line up a run frequency
because the Sun's absorption had that band sounding almost dead until
darkness was just about upon us.  One-sixty was also notably affected
by absoprtion.  However 80 and 40 were OK once the Sun went down.

Meanwhile on 15 just when you thought the East Asians were fading out
on Saturday night they came back in, but minus the flutter they had
had earlier.  The long JA opening fouled up my nap plans and I ended
up hitting the Sunday morning European openings later than I should
have.  Really the only time to make hay on 20 to Eastern Europe was
right around sunrise or just thereafter.  I was surprised to have
Ralph, K9ZO, tell me that he was not experiencing the late JA opening I
was having on 15.  At the same time there was lots of short skip on 15
Saturday night;  if this keeps up it might make the high bands more
important than usual for next weekend's CWSS.