[3830] CQWW SSB K7ACZ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7acz@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K7ACZ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:59:18 -0800

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

CQ WORLD WIDE DX SSB CONTEST -- 2003

      Call:      K7ACZ
      Category:  Single Operator
      Power:     Low Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      SSB
      Country:   United States (Clark County, NV)
      Zone:      03

      160        0        0     0.00      0       0
       80        0        0     0.00      0       0
       40        0        0     0.00      0       0
       20       60      139     2.32     18      31
       15      138      359     2.60     23      57
       10      112      301     2.69     22      48
     Totals    310      799     2.58     63     136  =>  159,001

All reports sent were 5903.

Equipment Description:
IC-746, MFJ-1786 36 inch diameter loop antenna at 25 ft.

Soapbox:
I have just moved to a new QTH at Las Vegas, NV, and changed my call to match
this call letter district.  I had a garage full of boxes to search through to
get enough ham gear unpacked to get on the air.  Went to Home Depot and bought 3
pieces of different diameter 10 ft EMT tubing and put them together to make a 25
ft mast.  Placed my MFJ-1786 tunable 36 inch (1 mtr) loop antenna on top and
strapped the mast to the corner post of my patio cover.  This is the same
antenna I used at my last QTH in California disguised as a T.V. antenna because
of CC&R's.  No CC&R's here and so soon will have a tower and beam up in the
air.
Contest started good here Friday evening local time open to Asia, Pacific, and
South America on 10 mtrs.  I was strictly S&P tuning the bands for something
new.  After an hour and half, 10 m started going away at darkness but 15 m was
still open for another hour and half.  By 0630Z, 20 m went out.  With no
antennas for 40 or 80 I QRT'd for the night.  At sunrise Sat morning (1300Z) 20
m was open again to North and South America only.  An hour later 15 m opened but
only one EU could be worked (OK1RI).  A few others could be heard but could not
hear me.  Went to 10 and worked a couple of EU, AF, and a bunch of SA.  As the
sun shifted to the west, I went down to 15 then 20 with occasional checks back
to 10 to see what new stations I could hear.  20 stayed open until 0500Z and
again I QRT'd for the rest of the night.  Sunday morning local, 1400Z, EU was
coming through on 15 very nicely.  Dawn had just broken and I had wished I had
gotten up earlier to catch this early opening to EU.  I did not stop to think EU
may open earlier in NV than CA but I am only 200 miles east from my former QTH.
I was able to work most of the EU stations I heard.  Not bad for 100 watts to a
36 inch loop at 25 ft.  Some EU stations worked hard to get my weak call through
and others did not to bother.  Some EU big guns would call CQ repeatedly for 5
or 10 minutes without an answer but when I called them, they would try once or
twice to get my call then give up and go back to calling CQ.  Around 1800Z,
everything suddenly went flat.  Nothing heard on any bands except for a couple
of W's and VE's.  An hour later 15 and 10 opened to SA with one each AF and EU
getting in the log.  By 2230, 15 and 10 was shifting to the west with AS and OC
coming through with still strong signal from SA.  As the contest was ending AS
was peaking and I was wishing for another hour or so to make up for the time
lost during the solar storm doldrums.  I am sure I would have logged several
more AS stations had the end of the contest not come.  I was happy and surprised
to work C5Z easily on 10 and 20, and to catch CE0Y/SQ9BOP, PT0F, and 5J0X
(HK0/a) calling CQ without many takers so I did not have to fight a pile-up for
them.  Also good to hear KG6DX on.  Have not heard that call for many years.
But some of the newer or less knowable callers could not understand KG6 is the
old call for Guam and is really zone 27.  I remember years and years ago KG6DX
would be my only Guam in the contest log.
All in all a good time but hope for better next year when I get a real antenna
up.

Club Affiliation: Southern California Contest Club

           MAILING ADDRESS:
               Alan C. Zack  K7ACZ
               738 S. Boulder Hwy, # 73
               Henderson, NV 89015