[3830] SS CW K5AF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K5AF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:57:00 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Stx
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I guess this is what happens when you have Halloween and Sweepstakes on the same
weekend -- a lot of gremlins.

I had loaded a new version of TR several days before the contest and had tested
it several times.  When I fired up the radios about 20 minutes prior to contest,
nothing worked.  I reloaded the software and managed to get on the air about two
minutes into the contest.  After making about ten Qs, the computer crashed
again, and would not see the directory I had created for SS.  I created a new
directory and reloaded the software, but somehow managed to delete the log.dat
file.  I got everything back up at 21:15, but had to start with a new log.
Everything was uneventful until about 18Z today, when I received a message that
the computer was no longer polling the radio.  I checked my earlier release of
TR, and it seemed to be working and not having the same problem, so I loaded the
log.dat and the .bin file and used the older software the rest of the contest
without incident.  Weird!

I think it is time to replace my 10 year old DOS machine, I've been suspecting
hard drive problems for some time.  Anyway, the contest was fun, I had to quit
early to head up to Austin tonight, but felt I did reasonably well under the
circumstances.  The flare was amazing, wiping everything out for about 30
minutes here.  Scores seemed good despite the magnetic storms, and 15M was
consistently good from here during daylight hours.

I hope I can have a newer computer on-lind for CQWW CW. Apologize for the
problems it caused. 73, Paul