[3830] SS CW K4XS Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4XS Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 04:03:44 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   64
   40:  148
   20:  311
   15:  198
   10:   45
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

It sucks being weak...AKA QRP.  I decided on QRP for this one since I hoped the
qulaity of the station and its antennas would compensate for the mediocre CW
ability of the op.  QRP is not known for fast, deep runs so I thought this might
work for me.  This was going to be a first in SSCW for me

I really thought I had an excellent chance of beating 900 QSOs the first
day...then 800.  Around 0230 on Sunday, after 23 hours, I had enough of QRP, CW
and SS.  QRT!  It was apparent that unless I had a 34 hour, it wasn't going to
happen...not likely at the end of the SS on QRP.  Pizza time!

Some observations:

Guys, CW is a withering mode.  Check the Checks in the exchange....tons of 50s,
60s, 70s, 80's, but few 90s, and almost no 00s.

QRP is amazing.  With barely enough power to light up an outside Christmas tree
bulb, you can work the world.

CW must be used on a regular basis for an op to be cometitive.  The guys who
send and receive and TYPE at 40 WPM amaze me.  The typing is the hardest for
me.

It is amazing how many stations can squeeze into 60-70 kHz in the CW band
There are no pig-farmers, jammers, SSTV or contest-haters on CW.

It IS possible to run on QRP CW.

My WX0B Six Pack box always manges to crap out during every contest and has to
be kicked to unstick the relays..even with 15 volts on it.

Two radios are mandatory for QRP.

SSB SS kicks ass.  I'll see you in two weeks...high power of course.