[3830] SS CW W4NF SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4nf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W4NF SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:18:13 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   11
   40:  342
   20:   58
   15:  251
   10:   26
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This is the first contest in a while that I quit out of pure frustration.  I had
not operated from my station for about a week as I had been helping out at W4RM
in prep for CQWW.  So when I sat down on Friday evening to configure everything
for SS CW I noticed an S9 power line noise on 160 through 40 and about S7 on 20
and S5 on 15.  The worst thing was it was directly to the west.  I went to sleep
hoping that it would clear up.  It didn't.  My Qs on 40 were a struggle and I
could hear stations in there calling that I just couldn't pull out.  I went to
bed at 2AM instead of 4AM like I always do and that comes after taking a 30
minute break at 1AM and driving around in my truck to find the bad power pole.
It wasn't hard to find as it blanked my AM radio in the truck when I was
underneath it.  On Sunday morning I was able to do some running on 15 but I had
lost the desire to compete and actually went and balanced the checkbook and paid
bills.  I called the Eletrical CoOp and they wrote up a job order and said they
would get on it right away.

Sorry to those that called that I couldn't pull through the noise.  Hope to have
it fixed by SS Phone 73, Jack W4NF