[3830] SS CW NO5W Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW NO5W Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:13:15 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W
Station: NO5W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:
   80:   65
   40:  133
   20:   79
   15:  221
   10:   61
------------

Club: NARS

Comments:

Another fun CW SS with lots of activity and, except for Sunday's brief total
blackout period, some excellent conditions.

Given the solar flares and associated CMEs in the weeks leading up to CW SS I
was wondering if there would be enough decent propagation to merit my last
minute installation of the four stealth dipoles at 30 feet. In particular I was
doubtful whether time spent on the 10M antenna would pay off -- after all hasn't
10 been declared to be in hibernation? However, this turned out to be my best
effort in CW SS and the closest I have ever come to making the sweep -- AK, NT
and ND were never heard.

Positive notes: The high level of activity and good conditions on 10 and 15 was
quite a pleasant suprise with 15 being the real money band. Some of my best runs
were the results of working Q-class stations on 15 up around 21067. Also,
results on 80 were better than they normally are for my twisted low dipole.

Negative (or no) note: One thing I noticed more so than in the past was that
some of the loudest signals were the most difficult to copy due to very severe
key clicks. I could not find a tone anywhere in those signals -- just clack
clack, clack at 20 db over. After one of those encounters it was a joy to hear a
nicely formed CW note even if it was only S3.

At any rate it was great fun to once again play in one of the classic CW events.
Thanks to everyone for the Qs.

73, Chuck, NO5W