[3830] SS SSB NS3T Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ns3t@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB NS3T Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:16:16 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NS3T
Operator(s): NS3T
Station: NS3T

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 5

------------
  160:
   80:   6
   40:  62
   20:  10
   15:  12
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

As in SS CW, my plan was to get in a big chunk of operating
time on Saturday night...but once again, my vertical decided
after about 25 QSO's that it was time to flash very high
SWR readings.

So, in a very aggravated mood, I went outside in a light rain at
midnight to build an antenna to get back on the air.

My tools:  an old Master lock and fishing line.   Tie that line
onto the lock and heave a touchdown pass into the tree in hopes
of setting up an inverted vee.

Throw number one wasn't high enough.  I managed to find the lock
in the bushes on the other side of the yard.   Number two was
dead on - way up high in this tree, and it came out perfectly,
landing in the open.   Cut the line, tied it to some rope and
pulled the rope thru.  Cut the wire for the two legs, put them
on the balun and pulled the antenna by one of its arms
thru the tree.  Estimated height - around 55 feet.

Back inside, mud covered, wet and cold.  SWR is 1.5:1, so
a big smile covers this operator's face.  Now, the moment of
truth.  All I can hear are W6's - and I get seven of them
(in a row) on the first call.  I go to bed feeling a lot better.

Looking at the antenna in the daylight, it's so high that there
is room to make it a full 80 meter inverted vee.  I smile more.

I also vow to continue building antennas late at night...to
avoid the prying eyes of my neighbors...that gives me
eleven nights until CQ WW CW!

Jamie NS3T