[3830] SS SSB K0OU Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0OU Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:59:01 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0OU
Operator(s): K0OU
Station: K0OU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 23 3/4
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  242
   40:  361
   20:  435
   15:   59
   10:    0
------------

Club: Kansas City DX Club

Comments:

Even though no one was sending CW, I still had a blast. Conditions were
interesting. Nothing at all on 10m and very little on 15 where I started. Then I
don't know what happened, but I have never heard 40m go dead during a domestic
contest like it did Saturday evening. Every one was forced to 80 and contesters
were worked all the way up to 3.935. The normal 80 meter crowd actually seemed
to co-operate with the contesters (a little).
Went to bed early Sat night and still needed 8 mults. Picked up NE, VO1, VE2,
VE4, and UT early Sunday morning, before 18:00 but still needed ND, KL7, and NT.
Spent all day Sunday beaming N and NE with no success. Then KL7J and VY1MB
showed up on 20m with big pile-ups around 23:00. They were very weak here in the
mid-west and seemed to be working only west coast and northern stations. But
after a while the signals built up enough for me to crack the pile ups with my
KW. Worked VY1MB at 00:01 and finally got KL7J at 00:24. This was a little
strange since I had worked a number of very loud VE7's while beaming NW during
the afternoon.
Resigned myself that a sweep was still not to be since I had not heard ND all
weekend, so went to 40M for the best rate I could get. Then at almost 01:00 AIØQ
called in from ND for the sweep. I ranted and raved so much that NØUD called me
next for two ND's in a row. WOW. Ended up working 4 ND stations in the last 2
hours. This was fun.
Tnx to all for the Q's. I had the same number of Q's as I did on CW.
73 de KØOU Steve in MO