[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:48:28 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:    0
   80:  575
   40:  228
   20:  259
   15:  150
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a change from last year, conditions and solar flux were way down! All
 of New England plus everything closer (even MI) started skipping over us on
 75M with fluttery sigs around 0115Z Saturday night and 02Z Sunday, even
 WB1GQR was puny weak. I never heard a WA or Western VE station on 15 Sunday,
but around 18Z the band was full of CA stations with good sigs with a few AZ,
NM, and very few TX stations thorwn in. A bit later a few Rocky Mtn states
were present but few in number.
   I got off to a good start for LP with 74 Q's the first hour on 15/20M and
 77 the second, mainly S&P working many on first call. I had to go to 75M
 early around 2345Z and immediately started a good run with 101 Q's in the 00Z
hour, then the conditions tanked. I was about ready to bag it around 03Z, when
75M started improving. By 04Z things were much better with the East Coast and
even a few West Coast stations were loud so I ran up another 101 Q's in that
hour. Sunday morning was very slow with a long skip zone on 40M til about 15Z. I
had one good 75 hour running on 20M during the 20Z hour; the WA guys were really
loud and all on 20M because 15 wasn't open.
   When I went to bed, I still needed 9 sections including SNJ and DE, but
 they called on 75 Sunday morning. I had MAR from a 75M call, but moved the
 20M beam to work VY2SS around 14Z on 20 and caught VO1TA for NL also CQ'ing,
then later worked VO1MP on 15M and VO1JLE called on 75 (weak!). BC called in
on 20M and I caught K1IF in UT S&P on 20M, then VE5AAD called on 20 (worked
 VE5SF on 14150 kHz later). Last new one worked was KL7J on 20M around
 23Z with a big pile up, never heard VY1. About 3-4 minutes were spent in the
 KL7J pile-up, other than that almost no time was wasted looking for mults.
 Lesson learned is the mults most always come to you or you find them while
 S&P'ing during slow times.
   The secret to success is running the casual ops on 40/75, without them
 it would be very slow after a few hours. Actual time on air was just under 21
hours. No rotary 40M beam here, just wires. Many thanks for the Q's!