[3830] CQWW CW N4GN SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4gn@n4gn.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4GN SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:19:16 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN
Station: N4GN

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 1089    33      114
------------------------------
Total: 1089    33      114  Total Score = 450,114

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Tried single band for the first time in many years.  Chose 10 for several
reasons:

1) This might be the last year for really good runs on 10 for a while.
2) It was a chance to shake out the station for the upcoming ARRL 10-meter
multi-op with K9GX.
3) It gave me a chance to sleep at "normal" times and chase some DX on the low
bands.

The intermittent line noise was really frustrating here.  It was mostly quiet
during the best runs on Saturday morning, but S5-S9 (or worse!) most of the rest
of the time.  So if I didn't hear you, my apologies!  I really have to get the
power company to fix it before the ARRL 10-meter contest (if I can get them here
when it's "on"!).

The idea of chasing DX on the low bands paid a few dividends.  The best catch by
far was VR2BG on 80.  Thanks, Bret, for a new zone on 80!  Only four more to go
for 5BWAZ.

Conditions sure were fun, and generally a bit better than I expected on 10.
Direct path to Europe opened with a bang not long after sunrise both mornings,
and the JAs hung in until around 0045-0100Z each night.  The sporadic-E path
across the auroral zone on Sunday afternoon was as good as I've seen it in
years, with lots of loud signals from OH, SM, LA, OH0, UA1, UA9, YL, OY, TF,
etc.  It's too bad more stations on that end either don't know to look at 10 at
"crazy" hours like 10 p.m. or midnight local, or they're just too busy with the
lower bands.  It was also interesting to hear all the big gun U.S. guys pointed
that direction with loud auroral backscatter signals.

Congrats to W4ZV, without even seeing his score.  I'm sure he smoked the rest of
the field in this category again this year.

I know I missed a lot of mults, including easy stuff like 4U1ITU, GI, HB0, HP,
TA and TK.  I heard 7X2ARA, but he was puny weak for some reason.  Never even
heard a zone 28 (guess 9V1YC was single band 40) or 18 (always tough from here).
 I heard a strong VU2BK call a VK on some crazy path, but never could get him to
call me.

All in all, I'm happy with this result, using nothing bigger than 2-el yagis,
and nothing higher than 90 ft.  Dreaming of the day I get that second tower
finished (I know!).

73,

Tim, N4GN