[3830] CQWW CW VE1JF(NB1B) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nb1b@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE1JF(NB1B) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:08:53 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE1JF
Operator(s): NB1B
Station: VE1JF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Nova Scotia
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   96     9       21
   80:  455    16       64
   40:  753    25       70
   20: 1081    30       93
   15:  922    29       86
   10:  573    25       77
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My first experience in SOABHP from the East Coast.  I've always done this
contest as part of a Multi set-up.  My strategies going into the contest were to
run, run, run, and use the 2nd radio to tune for mults on the off band.  Judging
by the preliminary review of other SO reports, it may not have been the best
strategy.

Highlights?  Being called by 5X1X on 20M at 2359 on Sunday for my last double
mult.  Breaking 150/Hr for several hours.  Seeing the Rate meter go over 200 for
the last 10 several times.  Raising my SO2R level from being able to do 100/Hr
and tune on the second radio, to be able to do 130/Hr and tune on the second
radio (time actually seemed to slow down).

Conditions were much better than I thought they were gong to be.  I heard
several JAs on 10M and was able to work several.  I heard several JAs on 80M,
but they couldn't hear me.  At the end of Saturday, 40, 10, 80, 15, and 20 had
QSO totals in that order from high to low, so I spent Sunday concentrating on 15
and 20M and foregoing much of the 10M activity. Right move or wrong move?  I'm
not sure, but only having 300 Qs and 35 countries on 20M on Saturday didn't seem
to be enough.  I only slept 1.5 hours Sat, condx were so good, but after nodding
off at the radio Sunday morning I had to take 4 hrs sleep.  In review, I should
have stayed at the radio another hour to two Sunday before sleeping, just
comparing rates when I dozed off vs rates for the first hour of operation Sunday
daybreak.

Thanks to 2 stations in particular that QSYed for me: ZL2BR, and TI7/KG6UH.

Many thanks to Jim VE1JF for the use of his FB station.

Dennis NB1B