[3830] CQWW SSB W7MD SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w7md@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W7MD SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 00:55:01 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7MD
Operator(s): W7MD
Station: W7MD

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Pinetop,AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:
   80:   1      1        1
   40:   8      4        5
   20:   2      2        2
   15:  31     15       22
   10:  57     15       19
------------------------------
Total:  99     37       49  Total Score = 21,930

Club: Southern Arizona DX Association

Comments:

I worked the contest from our family cabin at Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona where we
spent the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
The antena used was a W6MMA Modified St Louis Vertical with 8 - 25 foot radials
spread out on the very cold ground.
The cabin is at the 7500 foot level.  The antenna is actually a fiberglass
fishing rod about 20 feet high, fitted with a loading coil
which goes down to 80 meters.  The radiator is a length of wire strung along the
 fiberglass tube with the loading coil inserted about 1/4 up from the base. When
working the upper bands, one usually shortens the antenna but the results were
good on 15 and ten meters, it was cold outside and I was feeling lazy with all
the festive foods, so I kept the antenna at full length.
The transmission line was about 30 feet of RG--58.  The rig's built in tuner
gave a good match and load on all bands.
What this antenna needed was twice the number of radials and they should have
been longer for 40 meters and of course for 80 meters.  80 meters was noisy so I
decided not to spend time with it.
There was no noise on the other bands.  I wish the home QTH in Tucson was so
quiet.
I ran Single Op, Unassisted, Low Power, 100 W.   There was no Internet
capability so the logged QSO time were all fast by about 3 1/2 minutes.
The rig is my Kenwood TS-850SAT which worked well with Writelog and the W5XD
Contest Keyer (mounted in a Tupperware Container) : which I finally took out of
my "Round-To-It"  cache and built up last month.  The rig performed well and my
XYL, daughter and son-in-law had no TVI complaints from my setup.  We ate our
meals at the kitchen table around my ham gear for the rest of the contest.
I could not get Writelog to record the exact frequencies although when I took
the keyer out of the chain, it would.
My biggest kick was working ZS1EL in the pileup on 10 meters.   My goal was a
hundred Q's for points and I just missed it.