[3830] ARRL 160 K8FC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8fc@k8fc.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K8FC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:36:22 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8FC
Operator(s): K8FC
Station: K8FC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 987  Sections = 88  Countries = 10  Total Score = 177,144

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Greetings from southern Colorado.
Band condx from this location were miserable both evenings.  Rapid QSB and noise
were the prevalent items on the menu for the entire evening.  Everyone is an
alligator in these conditions.  On a good day, propagation to the east from this
location is at best, a roll of the dice.  Aurorual flutter was very pronounced
on stations in the north along with the tremendous noise and QSB,
conditions couldn't have been better for a Topband contest.

Second night was, at least for me, was only fractionally better than the first
but the QSB was still very pronounced.  On the first night, the phased pennants
were the only thing that saved me for weak signals.

The two beverages were only a slightly less noisy than the two transmit
antennas.  The second evening, the beverages were totally useless with the
pennants coming through again.  No EU heard at this location.  Heard an worked
all DX to the south as well as the boys in T32.  Missed NT and AK which I
presume were not on due to the Aurora (it was at level 8 on Friday night).

On a personal note, I was disappointed in not being able to make a longtime goal
of 1000 qsos on Topband, fell short by 11 q's. Bummer !!!  Worked a lot of ND,
WY sure wish that would have happened during SS.

Colorado stations were out in force,worked 29 of them,W0MG,N0HF,C0CAR,N9CO,
K0BX,K0EU,W0AH,W0CML,K7VT,W0CP,N0VD,K0AV,W0ETT,N02D,W7MM,N0ZA,
K0ZU,K0JE,KF0R,
N0NET,N0BF,K0GU,NA0BR,K0UK,WV0L,N3AIU and finally my good friends at W0GG.

This has always been my favorite operating event out of the year, this year was
no exception.  The one thing you can absolutely depend on, it is never the same
way twice.

 73's, Joe K8FC

Antennas:

Transmit