[3830] ARRL 10 N4GN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4gn@n4gn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N4GN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:41:17 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN, K9GX
Station: N4GN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 36

   CW: 1013   117
  SSB:  843   117
-------------------
Total: 1856   234  Total Score = 1,344,564

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Whew!  We put in more effort than last year, and ended up with half the score!
This is still one of my favorite contests.  It's kinda become an annual event
that K9GX and I do this one as a multi-op.

Less than a dozen Europeans (only EA and CT) via the normal "direct" F2 path.
Picked up a few EU mults via the skew path, but I really don't have the antennas
(nothing more than small C-3 tribanders) to work more than the biggest of big
guns that way.  With very marginal signals, I sure hope we don't lose too many
to log checking!

The E path through the auroral zone to OH/SM/LA/UA1/LY/YL was very nice both
days, and really added a little spice to what was otherwise practically a
U.S./Canada/South America VHF contest.

The sporadic-E was tremendous at times, but the best opening was way late on
Saturday night/Sunday morning.  K3ZO and others from D.C. to Philly were nearly
pegging my meter at 0700Z, but the rates weren't too great because everyone was
in bed.  We had to pull the plug anyway, because we hadn't saved enough off
time.

We did manage to work a single JA on each mode late Sunday.  It's hard to
believe we had a 189 hour of mostly JAs in this contest last year!  And we're
about 800 QSOs and 80 mults behind last year's score!

If all goes as planned, I'll finally have the big antennas up in time for this
one next year.  I'm not sure if there will be anyone to work beyond ground wave,
but at least I'll feel better about my chances.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and we'll see y'all on the air in 2004.

73,

Tim, N4GN
n4gn@n4gn.com